TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I am having weird sensations in my head and my vision is very

Customer Question

I am having weird sensations in my head and my vision is very sensitive to light as well as the after image of things linger for a second too long. This has been going on continuously for 5 weeks now. Some background information is that I had similar sensations for a week after I took the synthetic marijuanna drug "spice". These sensations completely went away for the last 4 months and now are back. I thinks my vision is getting worse. Do you have any idea what I should do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like this could be one of two things. One, it is a physical issue in which case you are right on track to figuring out what is going on. I understand that migraines can cause unusual symptoms, but it is a good idea that you are following up with a neurologist. You could also see another doctor in the meanwhile just for a second opinion. See if you can get referrals from friends or family to help you find a good doctor.

You may want to consider seeing an eye doctor while you wait, just to rule out eye problems as a separate symptom.

Two, this could be a psychological symptom. Anxiety sometimes causes very odd and unusual bodily sensations that sometimes can convince the person that there is something physically wrong. People with anxiety often report to the ER, sometimes multiple times, due to the physical symptoms of anxiety.

If a physical reason for your symptoms is ruled out, I would highly recommend that you see a therapist for a psychological evaluation just to rule out any mental health issues.

In the meanwhile, try to relax as best you can. Keep yourself busy as well. It will help the days go faster and it may keep you mind occupied so you don't think about your symptoms as much. Take deep breathes and work on keeping your muscles loose and relaxed. The more tense you are, the worse you will feel. Get a massage, work out, or even just going out with friends can keep you distracted and help alleviate stress.

I hope this has helped you,