Andrew Rynne
Andrew Rynne, Doctor
Experience:  Dr Andrew Rynne is an expert in Sexual Medicine. He has thirty years experience helping people overcome sexual dysfunctions
18135989

Why is ativan perscribed for alcohol withdrawl seizure precaution

Customer Question

Why is ativan perscribed for alcohol withdrawl seizure precaution rather than Klonopin? Or can you take Klonopin for protection against alcohol withdrawl seizures & symptoms?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Andrew Rynne replied 5 years ago.

Hi there. This is a very good question. Because to my knowledge there are no studies to prove that Ativan is any more effective than any of the other benzodiazepines in controlling alcohol withdrawal seizures or so-called DTs. But what we do know about Ativan is that it is by far the most addictive sedative of then all.

If I were helping an alcoholic over the early phases of withdrawal I would prescribe simple Diazepam 10mg three times a day for 5 days and then taper it off over the next three weeks down to zero. That is what I would do because I know it does the job and is not nearly as addictive. There is little point in helping a person to get off one drug only to have them addicted to another one. We need to be very careful here because usually we are dealing with an addictive personality in the first place. Revert if I can be of any more assistance and the best of luck.