Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

reIm very worried about a close relative . He has gone through

Customer Question

reI'm very worried about a close relative . He has gone through a marriage break up some years ago and then lost his job. He has wasted money on buying property abroad hoping it would generate some income and stands to lose it as he can't afford to make the payments any longer. He is hoarding things in the house that he lives in with my father and having read an article yesterday i feel convinced he has obsessive compulsive disorder. I am trying to support him but realise he needs professional help. Each room in the house is gradually being taken over with all kinds of things. He is naturally a perfectionist and this is so unlike how he used to be . I'm sure depression is part of it. He is isolated from friends and some family members because of his behaviour. He constantly asks people the names of anyone they refer to in a conversation and takes details down of any paperwork that he can see. He also takes photographs of details in magazines and papers and has started to record numberplates of cars. He is such a kind person and we so want to help him get his life back. How do we go about finding the right professional help for him please?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

Yes, OCD seems like at least one of the problems here. Depression may also be a diagnosable part of the problem.

When you are looking for professional help, is tis NHS type help you are looking for or private?

Tell me how HE understands his problems. Does he recognize that he is hoarding?

Does he recognize he is depressed? What does he see happening?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Let's go forward from the answers to these questions.

I see you are offline at this time. I may be away from the computer before you respond. If so, would this evening (US time) be okay for me to respond?

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for replying. I think From your response I don't have enough information about how my brother feels about things from his prospective. I need to talk things through with him more and show him the article that i read yesterday. Then maybe he and myself can decide how best to go forward.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doctor Mark,

I'm concerned that i don't get a bigger bill than the £16 that I have already paidas I am not in a position to pay a higher amount. If answering this is going to mean more financial outlay please will you let me know so that we can close the discussion. I'll answer your questions as best I can.

We would be looking for NHS help, not private.

On about three occasions when I have asked he said that de felt depressed and on one occasion he said some mornings he didn't want to get up. He usually doesn't get up until about 11.30am and says it's because he hasn't slept well. He uses the computer very late at night to store all the information that he collects regarding peoples names and details that he feels compelled to keep. He used to be involved with herbal life and this went on for several years. He would be emailing people and then just entering details without sending them off. I think it was an attempt maybe to feel that he was achieving something in his life when everything else was falling apart - maybe a

fictional successful business. Does all this make sense?

When I try to suggest getting rid of things, he sometimes will but will often say he may need it . He is doing lots of work at my dads house, building and electrical and that is his reason for keeping all sorts of stuff-just in case he can use it. My poor father's house looks like a tip and as much as we try we can't seem to do anything about it . Nothing seems to get finished and we are worried about the unfinished electrical work as it could be dangerous. I'm planning on showing my brother a couple of articles about ocd to see if he recognises it and can relate it to himself.

Does this info help. As i said please do not continue this if it means I will get another charge. Thankyou.