Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

My ex daughter in law is alienating our grand daughter from

My ex daughter in law is alienating our grand daughter from us and from her dad. Often she is coached in her behavior. My granddaughter is 10 and feels ashamed to love her daddy. My ex daughter in law has openly stated she wants my son out of their lives. My granddaughter told me last week that she feels like she is being squshed. She loves her dad and she loves her mom and feels she is being forced to choose. Question: What is the long term effect for my grandaughter, and is there anything we can do.?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am so very sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with your ex-daughter-in-law. How wise and caring and loving you are. It is unfathomable what your daughter-in-law is doping to her own daughter. You could tell your daughter-in-law that she is making it very difficult for her daughter placing her in that position. Ask her what she thinks will happen to her daughter when she grows up and needs to pick her own man. Not good! Not good!
I am going to give you some information about a place to contact re: Parental Alienation.

As I mentioned, there is an organization that I am a member of that deals with Parental Alienation. It is headquartered in Toronto, but is a global organization. It was started by a dad who was alienated from his children. Joseph Goldberg.

This organization provides assistance to adults and children who are

dealing with problems that relate to "Parental Alienation."
I think your son should contact this organization. You can let them know that I recommended him so that they will provide him with whatever information he needs --- What steps to take to regain his parenthood. Parental alienation is a form of parental child abuse. It must be stopped. This organization will help in what steps to take.

Here is the contact information: Also,here is a copy of his e-mail to me.
Hi Shirley,
How are things up in freezing NY ? I am down at my
winter residence in Orlando until May. Let me leave you my number at home
it goes with me where ever I travel, its(NNN) NNN-NNNN If you want to refer any
one to me please ask them to call me and mention your name. I will away
from my office tomorrow until Sunday night because I am having dinner with
my daughter ( her 21st ) and she lives in Boca Raton. Imagine, this was a child that was severely alienated from me not that long ago. FYI
My website for GOLDBERG & ASSOCIATES is www.ParentalAlienation.ca
And of course the website for The Canadian Symposium for Parental Alienation
Syndrome is www.CSPAS.ca
With Kind Regards,
Joe Goldberg

Hope your son finds the success that Joe Goldberg did.

Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience: PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy