How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am writing you regarding our daughter who is a mature 12

Customer Question

I am writing you regarding our daughter who is a mature 12 year old. Her 7 year old brother passed away almost two years ago. She also had to deal with a case of bullying one year ago. After that time she would not go back to school and was home schooled for six months. She was happy and involved in many activities during the summer and is a nationally ranked swimmer. But in Sept. we could not get her to go to school, and her older sister was also attending this new school. She said she wanted to go back to her old school, but the same problems have arisen once more. When she is forced out of bed, she refuses to go on the bus...when she is driven to school, she can not get out of the car and walk into school...once she is in school, she is alright. There are no other issues which might be causing this or sexual problems. At night and on weekends she is normal and happy girl. We need advice and hopefully you can recommend a doctor who deals with this type of issue. We live in Greenwich, Ct. and have access to the Westchester County area and New York city. Please advise.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to JA. Thanks for writing in here. Let me ask you a few questions before I offer an answer. Did she have grief counseling after her brother passed away?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes she did. So did the whole family. It was not extensive and the children really felt they didn"t need to go after a while. They did not seem to exhibit any symtoms of need.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. I am sorry to hear about your 12 year-old daughter's situation. It sounds like she has symptoms of anxiety and/or depression. Many children may go through physical and cognitive changes around age 12-14. Some may experience emotional distress. I conducted research on doctors/psychotherapists who specializes in children and preteens in your city. Here are a list of psychotherapists with the specialty. #1 & 2 are male doctors/psychotherapists. #3-7 are female doctors/psychotherapists. So you may ask your daughter if she wants to work with female or male therapists. You may also meet several doctors/therapists for initial consultation and decide who she and you want to work with later.

1. Dr. Dennis D'arcy Banks- XXXXX
Westport, Connecticut 06880
Additional Office:
The Dunes
East Hampton, New York 11937
Contact Information-
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Dr. Alden Cass-
Innervisions Psychological Services, PC
115 eastXXXXX
suite 1008
New York, New York 10022/

phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

3. Dr. Dawn Baird-Taylor- XXXXX
Second Floor
Rye, New York 10580
Contact Information
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

4. Dr. Cheryl Wilczak-

Harbor Bridge Emotional Health, LLC
406 West Putnam Avenue
Greenwich, Connecticut 06830 /

Additional Office:
Video Conferencing Available
Greenwich, Connecticut 06830
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

5. Dr. Jill Silverman-
Greenwich, Connecticut 06831 /

phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

6. Dr. Lauren Behrman-
Suite E 106
White Plains, New York 10604
Additional office:
124 East 84th Street
New York, New York 10028

phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Additional Contact:
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

7. Dr. Patricia O Hunter-

Active Exploration XXXXX
Suite 507A
New York, New York 10001
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question. You can also negotiate psychotherapy fee and number of sessions.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. P.S. Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Warm regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need a recommendation from you of which therapists will diagnose forensicly and aside from giving a drug will provide some cognitive therapy along with strong guidence on what the parents should do. A little psychoanalsis may help here. I know it's hard to find someone who does both but who in this group do you feel most confident to meet these prerequiisites and you feel has the experienceto treat this girl.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. I will be back with my answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have tried to ask Dr. Olsen follow-up action or questions on her answer to my original question. Her list of physicans was nice to receive but is really difficult for me to utilize in my search for the right physician without screening them for the following criteria (which I have written in multiple requests) : a) Experience and use of psychoanalisis for anxiety disorders along with psychopharmacological therapy. I have been told there are physicians who do both. A forensic psychiatist b) Ability to do cognitive behavioral therapy. c) Experience in treating children with this problem ( a real social behavioral issue) d) Ability to develop a treatment progam with multiple arms. d)Ability to involve treatment of parents and instruction on how they should interact and work with child.



Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. Let me try to do more research.

Related Mental Health Questions