Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

Ive never been diagnosed with add, im now 21 and realizing

I've never been diagnosed with add, i'm now 21 and realizing I may have it. I took the online test and scored a 74, how should I approch my doctor. I have a history of narcotic abuse that I did get treated, so I don't want him to think nor am I drug seeking. What do I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.

If you're referring to your psychiatrist, you'll have to make sure that he treats adult ADD. Some psychiatrists do not. In that case, you can consult with someone who does.

You may ask for non stimulant medication options. Any prescribing physician would want to conduct their own evaluation to determine if ADD/ADHD is a problem or rule it out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm referring to my family doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.
The PCP may not want to treat ADD or if he does, would opt most likely for the non stimulant meds. It is always best to have this covered by a psychiatrist who specialises in adult ADD because a family doctor is not really trained in psychiatric disorders and their assessment