Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Hello, I have 11 month old twins. My son is very heavy handed,

Customer Question

I have 11 month old twins. My son is very heavy handed, to the point of aggressive and wants to destroy any toy that he is playing with. His twin sister is the opposite, plays constructively and has no emotional outbursts at all. If she is happily playing with a toy he will crawl up and snatch it out of her hand and throw it as far as he can. Is this a behavioural problem or just jealousy?
He can be very loving,giving kisses but sometimes just wants to hit your face. He grunts a lot as a way of communicating whereas my daughter is starting to speak clearly.
He also wants to sit on his sister and bite her!
I'm worried he has some sort of autism.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to JA. Thanks for writing in here. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Does he have any medical condition?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Dr.Olsen,
Yes he is being treated for a medical condition, he has been monitored since before he was born for an enlarged kidney, which they now know is due to a blockage somewhere. He is on a mild antibiotic, Trimethripol, (I think thats how it is spelt) - 3ml a day, just to prevent any infection.
He also suffers from eczema, which has been proved is not due to the antibiotic, but does flare up when he is stressed or has a tooth coming through.
I use a strong moisturiser when bathing him and cover him in it after his bath. It seems to keep it under control.

Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. It sounds like your 11 month-old son exhibits aggressive behavior towards objects and his twin sister at times. There is a possibility that he is more impulsive than his sister. Also, his medical condition may be contributing to his behavior.
But children of his age until age 2 are more or less impulsive. It is not uncommon for them to exhibit aggressive behavior or temper tantrums when they do not get what they want - attention parents, toys etc. It is difficult for 11 year-olds to learn sharing toys with others. So he may need to LEARN how to share toys with his sister and not hitting her, you and objects over time. You may need to repeat your instruction to him over and over again. Additionally, You may try to help him relax and reduce aggression at home every day in the following ways: Music: Play for him his favorite music or soothing music. Certain forms of music have the power to soothe his mind and body.; Exercise: Physical relaxation eventually leads to the relaxation of her mind.; Laughter: Laughter, popularly denoted, as the best medicine is an excellent relaxation technique for children. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. P.S. Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Dr.Olsen,
Just wanted to say thank you for your response and advice. I have to be honest, what you say makes good sense and is generally good common sense.
I appreciate your help.

Many thanks again.