Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I have been bullimic for 11 years, The past year and a half

Customer Question

I have been bullimic for 11 years, The past year and a half has been the absolute worse. I am getting very nervous of the consequences I am causing myself. I am most nervous of death. I have a 6 year old little girl and am a single mother. I live in virginia beach. There is no treatment facilities nearby. I don't want to leave my daughter for two months. I feel torn. I don't know what to do. I want help but I don't know how to make it possible.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to JA. Thanks for writing in here. Let me ask you a few questions before I offer an answer. Do you have any medical condition? Does your counselor use CBT?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know what cbt is? I have adhd. I take adderall (total of 60 mg a day) . I have skin problems (acne) and have been on and off of minocyclin for almost 3 years.
I don't have insurance so I have been seeking counseling through Regent University. Its a grad a school.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I am sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you have symptoms of Bulimia. Perhaps, your anxiety may cause or contribute to this condition.
You may benefit from having a Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT). CBT work for anxiety and Bulimia. CBT consists of Self-Monitoring, Relaxation strategies, Exposure treatments, Cognitive therapy. You do not have to change your therapist. If your symptoms persist for more than 5 months, you may consider trying CBT for even 3 -6 months. To find a psychotherapist who specializes in CBT, you may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. You can call your insurance company and get a list of providers in your area. Or, you can search a licensed psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and anxiety. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question. If you seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

Additionally, Biofeedback may work for your stress. Biofeedback is a self-control technique since it involves having a client to learn to modify his or her own behaviors and is based, like many other self-control procedure es, on the principle of operant conditioning. The biofeedback may work for anxiety, stress, insomnia and physical pain. Please contact - The association for Psychophysiology and Biofeedback (http://www.aapb.org/consumers.html) for resources and to find a provider in your area.

In addition, you may try some or all of the following to improve and manage your mood - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Challenge yourself, 14. Avoid unstructured time, 15. Practice good personal hygiene, 16. Avoid depressed self-absorption, 17. Cultivate your sense of humor. Also, yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help. Finally, the books "The Relaxation & Stress Reduction workbook" by Dr. Davis, Eshelman, and McKay and "The Habit Change Workbook: How to Break Bad Habits and Form Good Ones by James Claiborn Ph.D., Cherry Pedrick R.N., James Claiborn" may be helpful for you. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. P.S. Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Warm regards,

Edited by Dr. Olsen on 2/1/2011 at 11:22 PM EST
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.