Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

So, Ive been reading quite a bit of information on AvPD, and

So, I've been reading quite a bit of information on AvPD, and it seems to ring very true to me. Is there anyone in the Reno/Tahoe area that might be able to help, possiably a one Daune Runyan?
Hi, Welcome to JA. Thanks for writing in here. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Do you mean Antisocial personality disorder (APD)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I mean Avoidant (Axious) Personality Disorder. I've read the discription and it fits quite well, I was rejected and taunted by my peers early in life, my father was not the kindest w/ disipline or critisim. I've used MMO's and video games as fantasy escapes, and distractions to real life, I avoid interpersonal contact because I just don't want to be hurt. I tend to take critisms really personly even if they wheren't intended as such i.e. "No one was at last event" "I'm sorry! I would if i wasn't working" "It's ok I didn't mean you"

Although I do have several close friends, and can jump into other peoples conversations if I know something on the topic being discussed, I generally don't start conversations myself.
Hi, Thanks for your response. I will work on my answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any info as of yet?
Hi, I will be back with my answer. Thanks for patience.
Hi, Thanks for waiting. I am sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you may have social anxiety and/or Avoidant personality disorder features. Here are two good doctors/psychotherapists to work on your issues in your area:
1. Dr. Julius M Rogina-
Julius M. Rogina, Ph.D., ABMPP XXXXX
Ste A
Reno, Nevada 89501
Contact Information
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

2. Dr. Katherine W Unthank-
507 West Sixth Street
Reno, Nevada 89503
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/

You may benefit from having a Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT). CBT consists of Self-Monitoring, Relaxation strategies, Exposure treatments, Cognitive therapy. There are several ways to find a psychologist or psychotherapist who takes your insurance. 1. You can look for a licensed psychologist (Ph.D., Psy.D./State licensed) or psychotherapist (MFT, MFCC, LCSW) in a local community clinic or a local hospital. Or call your insurance company and get a list of providers in your area. 2. You can search a licensed psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question. You can also negotiate psychotherapy fee and number of sessions. In addition, you may try some or all of the following to reduce your social anxiety - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Challenge yourself, 14. Avoid unstructured time, 15. Practice good personal hygiene, 16. Avoid depressed self-absorption, 17. Cultivate your sense of humor. Also, yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help. Additionally, Biofeedback may work for your anxiety. Biofeedback is a self-control technique since it involves having a client to learn to modify his or her own behaviors and is based, like many other self-control procedur es, on the principle of operant conditioning. The biofeedback may work for anxiety, insominia and physical pain. Please contact - The association for Psychophysiology and Biofeedback (http://www.aapb.org/consumers.html) for resources and to find a provider in your area.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. P.S. Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Warm regards, XXXXX XXXXX