Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

i have a 4 yr.old grandaughter .who is bitting the skin off

i have a 4 yr.old grandaughter .who is bitting the skin off her thums ans fingers till they bleed .it is killing me to watch.. her mom has put salt on her fingers to make her stop, the girl cries and cries. it breaks my heart. she is a beautiful well behaved little girl who in my opinion does normal 4 YR. OLD things.not worthy of that treatment. what can i do or why is she doing this to herself?knowing she will get screamed at or punished. please help me wuderstand i am crying for her everyXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to Just answer !

Dr. Kaushik :

are her teeths erupting ?

Dr. Kaushik :

are her teeth erupting..

Customer :

what does that mean erupting?

Customer :

her mon and dad figfht a lot a scream at her for the littlest things.

Customer :

she said i hate when they fight

Customer :

are u still there

Dr. Kaushik :

i mean to say that many children of your granddaughter's age have their teeth coming up , because of which they feel the need to chew onto something , and that is why many of them like to take either their own hand or fingers in their mouth and begin chewing it , this when becomes excessive due to the satisfaction the kid gets by grinding their teeth with a substance that may be their own hand or fingers , this may lead to such bleeding ...

Dr. Kaushik :

and yes , anxiety or stress in a child may also mke their such actions more profound and frequent and with the background of her parents regularly fighting , the child may be anxious most of the time , this may be the other possibility..

Dr. Kaushik :

So, i would suggest that you do two things..

Dr. Kaushik :

First ask her mother to get the child a good and safe teething toy for her to use it for grinding her teeth against it , this will prevent her using her own hand and fingers for the same , and since this teething lasts only till her teeth have not come completely , so this wil die own its own once she develops teeth ...

Customer :

and the second thing is what

Dr. Kaushik :

Secondly .. you shall ask her mother to strike a converstaion with her husband that their behaviour and altercations around the child are making the child tense, stressed out and anxious , which actually may be makeing her such behaviour more aggressive , so ask them to avoid being loud and in agressive or fight mode in the presence of child an dtry to make her feel that they are in harmony with each other ... this may actually reduce her this behaviour considerably

Dr. Kaushik :

So, basically the remedy for her such actions has two points to be undertaken that are -- first giving her a teething toy to chew on and secondly making her home environemnt less tense and more relaxed for the child to be comfortable and at ease..

Dr. Kaushik :

I hope this helps clearing things...

Customer :

her mom and dad are not open to our suggestions or in put they just call us nuts.when we are with the girl we always tell her she is a good girl and we love her.

Dr. Kaushik :

yes i agree that you are doing the right thing here , ans since not much beyond this could be done on your part , so try to provide her the teething toy .. this might solve your current problem , while ou keep on working towards making her feel more comfortable and less distressed by making her feel wanted and loved by you and by ushering your love onto her .. i must say that you are doing the right thing her , so keep on doing that and meanwjile apply the teething toy startegy as suggested here , this will fix the problem..

Dr. Kaushik :

i hope this helps you in getting an insight about what and how you should go about things..

Dr. Kaushik :

Are you there.. do you haveany other queries..

Dr. Kaushik :

If you have no other queries and if you are satisfied with the answer , then kindly press the ACCEPT button so that i shall be credited for my service.

Dr. Kaushik :

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.