Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

emtional eating ... its such a crazy cycle for me. Im trying

Customer Question

emtional eating ... it's such a crazy cycle for me. I'm trying to lose weight and have some success however as soon as I have a personal stress factor in my life, I turn to food.

I don't know how to stop this cycle?? I ate junk, hid the evidence, and now feel like garbage both phyically and emotionally.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to JA. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. When did this start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I've alway turned to food when sad, happy, stressed, etc .. it was normal to me. food was a way to celebrate and show love in my family

I always have had weight issues (over weight by 20 -30lbs)

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. I will work on my answer.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I am sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you have addiction to food. You tend to eat whenever you have big feelings. It is common for women to have your habit or addiction; many women tend to overeat when they feel stressful. So you are not alone. In your case, you may need to work on this habit for your health.

Food, spending, internet game and spending can all become addictive and, because of their unavoidable presence in one's life, abstinence is not always a solution. Changing one's thinking and behavioral processes from addictive back to controllable and health is not easy, but often with help, can be accomplished. You will need to learn to control the addictive, compulsive impulses and to retrain your thinking about food. Many adults with your problems may have dysfunctional beliefs like: "It is not possible to have my needs met with other things" "Food is the most important desire or need in my life" I think Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) can be helpful for you in changing your own maladaptive thought patterns that may continue to feed your food addiction. If you are open to counseling, you may work with a therapist/counselor who specializes in addiction. You may call your health insurance company and get a list of provider in your area. Or you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to the advanced search page (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/index.php?t=custom) and enter your zip code and click an optional specialty as addiction. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question. You can also negotiate psychotherapy fee and number of session. The book "The Habit Change Workbook: How to Break Bad Habits and Form Good Ones by
James Claiborn Ph.D., Cherry Pedrick R.N., and James Claiborn" may be helpful to break this habit.

Additionally, you may try some or all of the following to manage stress - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help. I hope you get help and support from a counselor, your primary care doctor, family and/or friends. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. P.S. Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Warm regards,