Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

i wanted to know about therapy for sexual perversion and social

i wanted to know about therapy for sexual perversion and social phobia
how does a person know who to call for help.
my friend can talk to men w/o a problem but with women he thinks about sex rather than the conversation.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to JA. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Does your friend have sexual perversion and social phobia?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

not sure .

he has always been shy and chosen to be around less people than a big group.

he has cut himself off so much from people at work to the point where he only says goodmorning and goodnight no in between.

this is abad situation

maybe if he had more interaction some of the phobia would go away.

if took him a long time to get married because he didn't get out much.

he is loves his family and doesn't want to lose them.

before he got married he looked at pornography on lonely nights.

he has been happily married for 5 years.

now he stoped all and his wife is his only release; he is master of his domain, for 6-8 months.

after marrage everything stoped except looking at women in the world.

but i'm not sure if the smut in his head is creating the problem, or if trying to suppress looking at woman sexually is creating a internal battle. sometimes trying not to do something so much backfires.

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for waiting. Does he talk about his sexual issues and/or social phobia?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. I will be back with my answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

not on all issues. a little to a childhood friend.

its not something to be proud of, so he keeps it inside.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i was looking for a little insite and who to contact for help.

it takes a long time for your replies

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for waiting. I can imagine how worried and anxious you must have been about your husband's condition at times. It sounds like your husband has social anxiety. Perhaps, social anxiety may cause or contribute to his sexual anxiety.

He may benefit from having a Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT). CBT is effective for anxiety, depression and sexuality issues. CBT consists of Self-Monitoring, Relaxation strategies, Exposure treatments, Cognitive therapy. There are several ways to find a psychologist or psychotherapist who takes your insurance. 1. You can call your insurance company and get a list of providers for him in your area. 2. You can search a licensed psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that he wants to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So he can see it as an informational meeting. He can ask any question. He can also negotiate psychotherapy fee and number of sessions. If he seeks a low fee counseling and has no health insurance, she may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX to find the community mental health centers in your area in which he can get counseling to treat social phobia even without health insurance. In addition, you may encourage him to try some or all of the following to reduce anxiety and improve mood - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help. Additionally, Biofeedback may work for his anxiety. Biofeedback is a self-control technique since it involves having a client to learn to modify his or her own behaviors and is based, like many other self-control procedur es, on the principle of operant conditioning. The biofeedback may work for anxiety, stress, insominia and depression. Please contact - The association for Psychophysiology and Biofeedback (http://www.aapb.org/consumers.html) for resources and to find a provider in your area.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. P.S. Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hoe can he approach his wife with this problem