Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

I am a 29 year old mother of three. I am a self-employed book-keeper

I am a 29 year old mother of three. I am a self-employed book-keeper working from home. I am dealing with some sort of anxiety. I don't feel up to leaving my house to go out into public (especially a store for some reason) for the fear of running into someone I may know. I find myself waiting for my husband to get home from work so he can accompany me. I try to "hide" behind him. I am afraid to see or talk to people who I don't know very well or have not seen for a while. I am terrified of meeting new neighbors and being introduced to new people. I have always been a "shy" person but it has been getting worse. I get flushed and blotchy skin on my chest, back and face when I go out in public or if company comes to my home for a visit. If I am forced to interact with others or do run into a person I know I actually feel "panic-like" and start to sweat and sometimes feel faint as I struggle to get my words out. Is there help for me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Luann :

Yes, absolutely there is help for you!

Luann :

Anxiety is very treatable. What you are describing are classic symptoms of an anxiety disorder. That is a general category and you would need to see a professional for a specific diagnosis. I strongly encourage you to see a psychologist, professional counselor or clinical social worker for a proper diagnosis and treatment. A therapist will work with you to build techniques to better manage your anxiety. They will be able to help you monitor your symptoms to determine if medication may also be helpful. The best treatment is a combination of therapy and medication. Working from home may have exacerbated some anxiety that you had all along. Get help today, you deserve to feel better.