Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

are there any cures for crossdressing

are there any cures for crossdressing
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

The best approach to addressing cross-dressing would be through therapy. There are typically deep seated issues that lead to the urges for cross-dressing and these can be explored with the help of a professional and if adequately addressed it can resolve the need for cross dressing. I would encourage you therefore, to contact a therapist, to discuss this concern.

Warm regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is not exactly a good answer. "Go see a doctor" seems like a cop-out.

My understanding is that it is a lifetime condition and the thrust of counseling is to help the patient to gain CONTROL of the problem. Have you ever treated and cured such a patient. Or better, how many have you treated amd what was your sucessratio , if any? I tried counseling and have done much reading, but cures do not seem to be available. What is your actual experience?
Expert:  Arundhati replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your response. And apologies for not being able to respond earlier.

According to the the DSM (Diagnostic Statistical Manual for Mental Health Illnesses) unless crossdressing causes severe impairment in normal functioning it is not considered a problem and therefore "cure" wouldn't be an appropriate term to use. That is why I recommended visiting a psychiatrist initially, because a full evaluation would be necessary to correctly diagnose.

I have worked with many clients interested in crossdressing - and the degree to which they are interested can vary from simply wanting to crossdress at one event/party in a year to wanting to maintain their own "secret wardrobe". Many are not looking for a "cure" - they simply want to work on how they can give voice to this desire once in a while without jeopardizing their regular routine life in any way (many have spouses, children who are not aware of these desires).

In my experience, it is certainly possible to manage these desires for crossdressing to an extent that they do not impair your functioning. Working with a professional towards this goal would be my recommendation.

I hope this answers your questions.

Please do let me know if you have additional questions/thoughts. If I've been helpful please consider clicking on the "Accept" button as experts are not credited for their time or service otherwise.

Warm regards,