Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

I had the idea to collect coins as a hobby but Guilt stopped

I had the idea to collect coins as a hobby but Guilt stopped me because I fear God will get mad at me like he did with Judus and the 30 coins of silver. Previously I wanted to do Tai Chi but I stopped because a truck hit my utility wire and I interpreted this that God was mad because Tai Chi is not Christian.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I see that you did not ask a specific question. Would you mind phrasing your concerns into a specific question so that I can provide a detailed response?

Thank you.

Regards,

Arundhati
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>Is my rigid belief of God a form of Ocd or depression? Is my impression of a strict God who holds me to a rigid view of scriptures mentally healthy?</p><p>Please answer these questions pertaining to the contents ofmy original statements. </p>
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information and apologies for not being able to get back to you earlier.

From what you describe, it does sound like you are creating rules for yourself with regard to what God would approve of or won't. As you might already know, many Christians enjoying collecting coins as a hobby and it is generally not regarded as something that would offend God. In a similar way, I am sure you are aware that many people around the world are trying out new things such as Yoga, Meditation, Mindfulness, Tai Chi etc. and these people may be devout Christians but do not see these practices as offending God. It seems to me these "rules" that you create for yourself are a reflection of deeper issues (e.g. fear of failure, anxiety) that are forming a roadblock to your normal functioning.

I would hence, encourage you to consult with a therapist for a consultation. Especially those who specialize in anxiety and utilize cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) which has been found to be especially effective in anxiety (including OCD, OCPD etc.) and depression issues.

I hope I was able to provide some perspective. Please do let me know if you have additional questions/thoughts.

Warm regards,

Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author