Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

Where do you go for help in the Dallas, Tx area for help for

Customer Question

Where do you go for help in the Dallas, Tx area for help for a 15 year old diagnosed at 10 as being bi polar?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Dear JA Customer,

The role of psychiatrists has really changed in the last decade. Most only do medication management and not therapy. They are adept at diagnosis though and so the diagnosis is probably correct. But you do have a right (and you may feel better) to get another opinion. The best way to get a complete evaluation and diagnosis is to see a child psychologist. You can probably find this evaluation at Children's Hospital in Dallas. If not here is a psychologist search website www.findapsychologist.org This site list only the most qualified of psychologists.

I hope this gives you some direction. I will search the Children's Hospital site and look for the best link and will post it if I find anything. Good luck.
http://www.childrens.com/Specialties/template.cfm?groupid=116&pageid=592

This site list a Dr. Stewart for a psychological evaluation. Also there is a phone number for outpatient psychological testing. Their information page specifically mentions Bipolar Disorder.

Good luck.
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 6 years ago.
I work in the local area and wanted to give some more resources for you.

In Dallas there is a psychiatrist doing SPECT brain scans to help diagnose specific brain dysfunctions to help properly diagnose and treat conditions such as Bipolar. This is new technology with good research behind it but your insurance may not cover it. The same is true for Neurofeedback, which can work really well in children and teens. This clinic does both: http://www.clementsclinic.com/.

If I had a child in your situation and could afford these services, I'd give them a shot. Neurofeedback first, SPECT second. I want to make sure my child has ever chance to improve brain function rather than just medicate.

Medication also works best when combined with counseling to help manage symptoms and learn coping skills. The psychiatrist I'm hearing good things about for this population is Dr Burgos at(NNN) NNN-NNNN The Meier Clinic offers counselors and psychiatrists in the same building. http://www.meierclinics.com/?p=81 For medications I'd look at Dr Torres-Roca, and for counseling Dr Crawford.

As far as inpatient treatment, try to avoid the Seay Center. We've seen better luck with UBH in Denton, GreenOaks Dallas, and Timberlawn Dallas. But like adult programs, most are for stabilization and crisis as opposed to in depth treatment.

If you have some names from your insurance list of providers, feel free to post them and I can try to give you feedback if I know of any of them. Finding a good treatment team is hard.

The Dallas NAMI branch offers great support groups for Bipolar and you can hear about good and not so good professionals by talking to other mental health consumers.

A workbook I often use in counseling with teens with Bipolar is available at Amazon.com:
The Bipolar Workbook for Teens: Dbt Skills to Help You Control Mood Swings (Instant Help) by Sheri Van Dijk and Karma Guindon

Another web resource, including information for you and your teen, and a directory of professionals who paid to be listed (which usually means they are serious about treating Bipolar in kids, and that they usually are accepting new clients) is http://www.bpkids.org/connect/find

Selah

Edited by Selah R, M.S. LPC on 1/27/2011 at 6:31 AM EST
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.