Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

We just watched Dr Phils show regarding the Rehab Center called Origins in Texas. We found

We just watched Dr Phils show regarding the Rehab Center called Origins in Texas. We found out it is a male only facility. We have a daughter who is currently in rehab at Burning Tree Ranch in Kaufman Texas. After six months she looks worse than she ever has. We want to send her somewhere like Origins where we think she may do better. Burning Tree is her second rehab in a year and we are desperate to find the right place for her recovery. She has gained about 60 pounds and is very depressed. She has contracted TB since being at Burning Tree and also has Hepatitus C. She was addicted to opiates and Heroin. She has been detoxed for a year with one fall to alcohol.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 5 years ago.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Two facilities that I know of in Texas that may be similar to Origins and which does have female units includes Caron (http://www.carontexas.org/) and Sante (http://www.santecenter.com/).

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Caron has a longer inpatient program , but Sante has a more in-depth transitional living program.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Caron also has centers in other states, and the often work together. So someone may do residential services in Caron Texas and then move to the Florida branches for more of a wrap-around transitional living program afterwards if needed.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Both of these are near Dallas/Fort Worth, where there are other programs and professionals available for aftercare and a very active recovery community.

JACUSTOMER-2i5d725z- :

Should we keep her in Texas or put her in a Rehab out here closer to home in California?

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

That's really up to you and her. Some people do not want to walk back into their previous environment because it's too easy to slip back into their addiction and addicted friends.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

There is another great facility in between if you want her closer to home but not back at home.

JACUSTOMER-2i5d725z- :

She lived in Michigan and came to California for Rehab.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

The Meadows in Arizona: http://www.themeadows.org/

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I personally think most of the areas in California are too drug friendly, and would not be comfortable sending an addict back to California if there were other options.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

But if that's where she has sober/clean friends and family, it's still a viable option if you can build her a good support system to keep her recovery going.

JACUSTOMER-2i5d725z- :

The rehab shes in now are extremely strict and seem to focus on breaking you down and very limited contact with family. We can only see her every 3months and only one 5 minute supervised call per week. There is no excersise and it seems very depressing. We dont think Burning Tree is the right place. All they do is tear the clients down. What do you think of a place such as this?

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I think most addicts have families that need to be involved with treatment for it to be the most successful possible.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Most centers usually work with the family and even has a week where family members come in for group or joint sessions. These can be invaluable in healing the damage addiction does to family relationships.

JACUSTOMER-2i5d725z- :

That is what we think!!!

JACUSTOMER-2i5d725z- :

How do you feel about the facilty in Arizona?

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I've only been involved with training and education Meadows provides to counselors throughout the US, and I appreciate the depth of their work.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I've never visited, so I can't comment on that. But it's always been highly recommended by other professionals I network with.

JACUSTOMER-2i5d725z- :

Also is there anywhere in California you would suggest?

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Caron and Sante are near me, so I've seen the campus and met with their staff.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

None that come to mind except Betty Ford of course

JACUSTOMER-2i5d725z- :

Thank you very much Selah. You have been very helpful.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Best wishes for you and your daughter.