TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I am looking for a residential treatment facility for my 17

I am looking for a residential treatment facility for my 17 year old son who has had 3 episodes of cutting in the past 10 months, as well as an attempt to hurt himself by taking 10-12 zoloft . He was hospitalized and determined that his issues were behavioral and that he has anxiety. . .was home for 6 weeks and then took off in his car, sent cryptic texts to friends about death. Found by police and put in hospital. He doesn't seem to have full insight regarding his behaviors, feels defeated and as though he's a failure, is impulsive and anxious/depressed. He is extremely bright, polite, funny, good looking (all of this from his school counselor and his therapist and friends) and can have the world by the tail if he can get past what's making him feel so much pain. Would like your opinion as to an appropriate residential center for him. He is also manipulative and the hospital says he appears happy as if nothing is wrong, he is cooperative and not sure if it is superficial or not. His past visit he requested to speak with an attorney and was able to get a hearing set up . . .wasn't needed. But he is bright and manipulative and we are concerened
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

What state do you live in?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We live in Charlotte, NC.

Ok. There are a few facilities nearby in your city. I'm not sure if you prefer a place in your town or anywhere, but I figured you would want him close by.

Here is one facility:

Address: 6003 TEANECK PL, CHARLOTTE, NCNNN-NN-NNNN| view map
Telephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

This place is a men's facility so I'm not sure they would accept a 17 year old, but if they do not, they will know a place that does:

This place is a boarding school for troubled teens:

This facility looked like a the best one for your son:

I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Really want centers out of North Carolina as recommended by our son's therapist. . .less chance of getting mom and dad to get him out if he's farther away. I wonder about wilderness programs such as Mountain homes youth ranch. 3 springs paint valley, discovery school of virginia, are you aware of the quality of any of those programs?

I have heard of Discovery Schools of Virginia. They have a good reputation and also received a 5 star review on You may want to start your search there.