Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.

My son and his wife have been seeing a marriage counselor in Fort Worth, Texas since

My son and his wife have been seeing a marriage counselor in Fort Worth, Texas since October. This past Friday night she assaulted him at their home. He did file a police report. After doing a lot of reading this weekend, we feel he needs to be seeing an abuse counselor, as this has turned into a domestic violence issue. He saw his marriage counselor this evening and he told my son that it was wrong for him to leave and that he needs to return home to his wife. We are desperately trying to find an abuse counselor for my son, however, most everything I find online is for women in a domestic abuse situation. Any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 3 years ago.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I found a website that is specifically for battered men, and it lists three agencies in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that have domestic violence services for battered men. I would highly recommend that you call ahead of time, as your son may not have the emotional resources to make these calls himself. Here is the website: http://www.batteredmen.com/bathelpnatl.htm

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Marriage counseling teaches different reactions to marital violence. Some do not think that occassional angry outbursts which may become physical, such as both parties are escalating the anger/violence, to be the same thing as batters or abusers who use the abusive methods to control the other partner.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

So some marriage counselors are going to recommend staying and working it out, while others take a zero tolerance stance on abuse.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

If he does not believe the therapist has his best interest in mind, or does not believe that the therapist believes the full extent of how bad things are, then it's time to find a new therapist.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Males as the victims is still not as common nor as publicized as women as the victim, so it can be harder to find services. Again, you may have to take a more proactive role in helping call these domestic violence programs and asking do they help men who are the victim, and if not do they know other places that might.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

You may also find services from an agency that provides domestic violence counseling for gay couples, because they will have counselors who work with male survivors of domestic violence.

Customer :

Thank you so much for your assistance!

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

If you live in Texas you can also dial 211 from a local landline telephone for more community resources for counseling services. You can also use their website based-database at https://www.211texas.org/211/

Customer :

Thank you.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

He is not alone, and he deserves to live in a marriage and in a house where he is safe from abuse. He may not hear of other men who are in his situation because many men don't report their abuse. But once he starts looking and being honest about what's going on, the more men who will step forward and share their stories and support with him.

Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.