Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

hi, i have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. After many years

hi, i have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. After many years of pain, and seeing multiple doctors, they finally have the diagnosis. Basically the problem now is, the fibro doc wants the pcp to manage meds. Neither want to prescribe lortab for me. I was started on this 2 years ago. I have tried many meds(to many to list) that were not effective in controlling my pain. I started Savella 3 months ago, this med has caused some of the worse side effects I've ever had, but they want me to continue taking this. I have had no benefits from this. I have a history of anxiety and depression. My question is why do my doctors want me to suffer. I have never been a drug seeker, never switched pharmacies, never tried to get multiple docs to write the same Rx. How can this help my mental health? Can you give me any solutions for me to keep my sanity and be pain free. Both docs suggested a pain clinic, but I dont want to have a bag full of meds, or be viewed by society as a drug addict. I would love any thoughts you may have. thank you, Wendy
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 3 years ago.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Many doctors are not comfortable prescribing narcotic pain medications to people with chronic pain because of the fear of addiction, and the fear of getting into trouble with the insurance companies and DEA. This is especially true with Fibromyalgia since there are clinical guidelines that encourage doctors not to use narcotic pain medications.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

That being said, you can find a doctor who will prescribe pain medications. They are usually listed as "Pain Specialists" on insurance directories. They are usually psychiatrists who specialize in pain management, or anesthesiologists. They usually are more willing to prescribe and monitor long term pain management medications than general or family doctors, because they have the training and clinical experience to back them up.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

As someone with Fibro, I found a wealth of information on finding good doctors and not so helpful doctors in my area by finding a local Fibro support group. The one I found was listed on Meetup.Com. Finding locals who deal with chronic pain can save you a lot of time, money, and frustration in the "doctor shopping" process. It's important to find a doctor who both understands and believes in Fibro, and is willing to treat the pain as real and not just psychological.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

There are a few rheumatologists in the local area who specialize in Fibro and are willing to prescribe pain medications. So, that might be another branch worth testing. Some don't take Fibro seriously because they tend to specialize more in arthritis and immune disorders, but some really do understand Fibro.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Pain clinics, which I worked at one for over three years, are good some times. They tend to do really well in pain following injuries, such as spinal injuries. But some pain clinics really don't know how to properly address chronic pain that comes from chronic conditions. Especially ones like Fibro that can have periods of varying pain levels or flare ups.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I think your best bet is to start with a independent, not a clinic, doctor who specializes in pain management. Call their office and ask if the doctor specializes in Fibromyalgia before you make the appointment. Do not mention narcotics, as this might give them the idea that you're only seeking narcotics and not that you're seeking pain management that may include narcotics.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Several of the Fibro specialists in this area are moving away from Savella because we're just not seeing good results with it. Some people do get help from Cymbalta, with fewer side effects than Savella. We also see some results with medications that affect nerve pain, such as Lyrica, Neurontin, and even Flexeril. Many doctors are also embracing supplements and vitamins such as Malic Acid, Calcium, and Magnesium to help control the muscle pain.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

But it sounds like you've tried most of those already, so you've been on the right track.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Keep fighting to find a good doctor who fully understands Fibro, and is willing to use low doses of narcotics for pain management. When used appropriately, narcotic pain medications can greatly improve your quality of life and your tolerance for physical activity, both of which help you live with Fibro.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Sincerely, Selah

Customer :

thanks for the info, I have explored so many options. I have never seen a psychiatrist before so maybe that will be next step. At the rate I am going it might be a good idea. I know people who see a pain specialist and they are prescribed to many meds(in my opinion) I just want to be able to take care of my family and have my pain tolerable. I swim twice a week in a heated pool, that helps alot. Again, thanks

Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
You always have the right to tell the doctor you don't want a lot of meds to deal with. I have found the best treatment for my own Fibro to be mostly supplements/naturals, and have eliminated almost all of the prescriptions they had me on for years. I think a lot of doctors feel like they have to try a lot of meds to prove they were doing their job, but they also have to know when to say that the meds, and their side effects, aren't helping.

Best wishes,
Selah