TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

My brother is a severe alcoholic and has no insurance where

My brother is a severe alcoholic and has no insurance where can I take him to get help.We live in Iowa.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Where do you live in Iowa?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sigourney Ia in southeast Ia. We are 1 hr away from the University of Iowa hospitals. I am an RN and I know how hard it is to find a place for someone with no insurance to get help but he is in dire need of help.

I found a few resources that list a number of treatment centers in Iowa. Some of them may be near you.

If your brother presents at the local community mental health center, they must treat him regardless of his financial status. They also can help him apply for aid and insurance to cover his treatment. They should do a complete evaluation and offer treatment appropriate to his situation. If he cannot get this treatment, contact an advocate to assist you.

You may already know about this resource being a nurse, but your family can also contact AA and Al Non for assistance with treatment. They may be able to point you to resources I am not aware of in your area.

I hope this has helped you,