TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hi there Im not sure how this works I am desperate.I am a

Hi there I'm not sure how this works I am desperate.I am a 42 year old mental health worker myself.I have extreme mood swings when my period is due though due to a Mirena coil I only have slight bleeding.Each month I become irrational to the extreme where my relationship is destroyed I also have a go at my partner and accuse him of things I know he hasnt done,I can't sleep, my appetite fluctuates,I become extremely tearful and avoid my friends as I dont want to ruinn these relationshios either,I feel worthless and hopeless.My friends would say usually I'm fun to be around, a good listener humourous,reliable and honest.Please help Ive searched the internet and dont know where to turn.I did visit my GP and have been prescribed fluoxetine with no real effect.Please I'm deperate!

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you may have premenstrual dysphoric disorder. About 8 percent of women get this severe form of PMS. Symptoms include anxiety, irritability, anger and changes in sleep. However, the symptoms are severe enough to disrupt the ability to work and causes problems in relationships.

You may want to speak with your gynecologist about this disorder so he/she can evaluate you for a possible diagnosis.

There are treatments including antidepressants, birth control pills (which help with level out the hormones and reduce severity of symptoms, supplements, and changes in your diet.

I would also recommend talking with a therapist just to help you learn ways to cope better with the stress each month. Being in the mental health profession already, you know some ways to help yourself. However, it is much easier to have someone else in the field help you because having insight into your own problems is always difficult. Plus, the therapist can do an evaluation to be sure that there isn't any mental health issues going on.

There is a book about the disorder called PMDD: A Guide to Coping with Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder by Dr. James E. Huston and Dr. Lani C. Fujitsubo. Amazon.com has it available or your local library may be a good place to check. The book may help you narrow down symptoms you have and find better ways to help yourself.

I hope this has helped you,

Kate