Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

Hi Selah, I have two further questions regarding this post.Still

Hi Selah,

I have two further questions regarding this post.Still haven't applied for it yet but needed some more advice on this.The job listing gives a phone number to call should I do it from my home or a payphone,etc.?Also supposed they hire me for the job and say I have to wear the uniform that women do should I accept it?What would you do in my position?Thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 6 years ago.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I think you're probably safe calling from home, and if you have any concerns you can block your number from their caller ID from most landline phones by dialing *67 before you dial.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

If you're concerned that the number is XXXXX look up the phone number on a reverse lookup directory, or search for the club's information online and call their main number to verify that the job listing is legit.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Most cell phones also have the option to switch of caller id display to hide your number.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

But finding a payphone where you can talk honestly about the job without worrying about people listening in, or to find a place that is quiet enough, is going to be difficult. And they may not take you seriously if you're in a noisy setting (i.e., bored kid who thinks it's funny to call, or someone too embarrassed which means they are too embarrassed to be working in that type of club).

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

The uniform is a very real concern. Are you willing or interested in crossdressing? Are you willing or interested in working with the employer to find a uniform that is similar but built for male bodies?

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

As an employer at a club, I'd totally be willing to consider changing the uniform if I met the right guy candidate with a great personality. They'll probably still want it to be revealing, for the club atmosphere, but they may not make you totally cross dress (i.e., boy tuxedo shorts, white top, black suspenders could work).

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

If they say it has to be a girl, and they won't consider a guy, ask them to keep you in mind if any other positions open up. They may just find your moxie appealing and think you'd be worth remembering sinc eyou had the guts to apply for this position.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Selah

JACUSTOMER-5orp0hdz- :

Hi Selah,

JACUSTOMER-5orp0hdz- :

If they said I had wear a uniform similiar to that of a female to get the job I would have to at least think about it.I do like your suggestion about doing a *67 to block out the number.Great idea compared to a pay phone.I don't if they would say it has to be a girl because that is gender discrimination which can't be done under the law but could make other excuses.They could just say that you have to wear a uniform like a woman does and see if how I respond.What would you do if they said you can apply and they hire you for the job but on conditions of a particular gender clothing standard?Would you accept the job if you were me?Thanks again for everything.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

There are exceptions to the discrimination rules, like Hooters, which hires only females for their waitstaff.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

You can read more about how they get away with that by reading this:

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

http://blogs.findlaw.com/free_enterprise/2009/04/can-men-be-hooters-girls-when-can-businesses-hire-only-women.html

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

So, it is possible for a company to say that they always and only hire women to be cigarette girls, and it is possible for them to get around the discrimination rules.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I would want to see the uniform first, then see what ways I could make it appropriate and comfortable for my body (such as shorts instead of skirts). If that's not possible, I might suggest an alternate uniform (can you be a cigarette gangster, if that matches the theme of the club?). But I would also be honest with myself that the uniform and gender may not be up for discussion with this employer. So I would do my best to be outgoing, professional, and likable, in order to not lose a potential for networking for a different position (bar back, greeter, wait staff, etc.).

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

For example, what lady wouldn't buy cigarettes from this guy?

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

http://www.getprice.com.au/Braces-Suspenders-25mm-Wide-Gpnc_579--43719070.htm

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Or gum, or roses, or anything he's got on his tray for sale!

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

But it all boils down to you. Don't take a job that you might hate. Don't take a job that requires a uniform that you might never feel comfortable in. Because it'll make you unhappy, and if you're unhappy the customers and coworkers are going to know. Which will just make you even more unhappy.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

But there is nothing lost except some time in applying for the job, and talking about your options. And this is obviously of strong interest to you since you haven't moved past it. So, take the jump and call. The worst that happens is you get told "no" because they have a preconceived idea of who they want for this position.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Selah

JACUSTOMER-5orp0hdz- :

Thanks for the advice.