Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

Hello, My 11 year old son was taking 75 mg of sertraline daily

My 11 year old son was taking 75 mg of sertraline daily for anxiety and depression prescribed by his general practitioner. A few months ago he became very anxious about swallowing pills, after trying many ways of taking the pill and after daily, lengthy, struggles, he was unable to. He was then prescribed the same medication in an oral solution. It cannot be flavored so because of its bad taste and smell we are having the same difficulty getting him to take this too. Are there any comparable medications in a patch or sublingual form that he would not have to swallow? Thank you!

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I would recommend the Effexor XR. It is a capsule, and inside the medication is in tiny beads. These can be sprinkled over apple sauce, pudding, yogurt or similar substances. The beads should not be chewed or crushed, as that will damage the coating the helps the medication stay in the body for a longer period of time (the time-release agents).

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Currently I only know of one antidepressant that is available in a patch form, but it is chemically in a different family from Effexor. It is called EmSam. It is a MAOI family of antidepressants, so it may not manage his symptoms in the same way the Effexor is, since they are targeting different neurotransmitters.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

There are no antidepressants available in a sublingual form at this time.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Good luck with the Effexor XR beads. They should be much easier to swallow and not have the overwhelming taste and odor that the liquid form has.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Sincerely,

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Selah

Selah R, M.S. LPC40555.1664139236
Another one to ask his doctor about would be Prozac Weekly. Maybe he could cooperate with a once-a-week pill if he knew he has 6 days without pills to gain!

Selah