Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Its only a stupid question really. 6 months ago i went to see

Its only a stupid question really. 6 months ago i went to see a cousellor just once and never went back as i felt i didn't need to go,[it was too late, i'd had a bit of a meltdown shortly before but i was alot better by that point], but i haven't been able to get it out of my head ever since. Every single day i think about it and get the desire to go back but i know i don't need to, i'm ok now, i can feel happy, i'm not stupid or unselfaware, i know i should forget about it and move on but i can't seem to let it go. It hurts me. Its foolish that i can't let it go, i don't need to go. Sometimes i think as i can't stop thinking about it then maybe i should go back but then i think i'd have nothing to say so it would be pointless and the lady would wonder what i'm doing there! Im interested in what another proffessional would think of this, what is your opinion?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

There could be a few different issues going on here. One, you feel obligated to go back because of the relationship you developed with the counselor. This happens, it is natural and not uncommon. Two, you do have unresolved issues and are not aware of them (this sounds like the least of the possibilities from what you said). Three, you got a lot out of having someone to talk to and support you and you feel that is missing from your life without counseling.

Feelings like yours are never stupid. Counseling is about digging deep into feelings and for most people, that brings up a lot of unfinished business and also may highlight areas of their lives that are lacking in some way.

You could always go back for one session. Explain to the counselor how you are feeling and why your there. It is completely understandable and believe me, counselors are ok with things like that. We are here for the clients, not ourselves. So whatever you need to do is fine. This would at least solve your need to go back and see if anything happens for you.

I hope this helped you,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.