Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have agrophbia and I like sme tips on how to deal with it

I have agrophbia and I like sme tips on how to deal with it and to get out of the house with out having an anxiety attack or working my way up to have one please help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Agoraphobia is part of a group of anxiety disorders that are easily treatable. Although it may not feel like it right now, you can work towards not only leaving your home but being able to live a full life again.

One way to start working on your Agoraphobia is to find resources that help you and support you facing your fear. This is very important. You will hear this a lot as you recover. Facing your fear is the only way to make it go away. The way you do that is to arm yourself with enough information to replace the negative thoughts in your mind with positive and encouraging thoughts of success.

One good place to start is the Mid West Center for Stress and Anxiety. Lucinda Bassett has some very good books and DVDs that you can read and follow to give you a good start. Also, The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is an excellent resource. It is a large book full of ways to help you overcome your fear. Also, Claire Weekes Hope and Help for your Nerves is wonderful.

Start with these resources. There are many others on line as well. Why I recommend so many is that you will be able to pull what you need from all of them and customize a workable treatment for yourself.

One of the first steps you need to take is to understand that the worse that will happen to you is that you have a panic attack. I know, that is not an easy thing to go through. But it is the worst that can happen. A panic attack is simply your body reacting to your thinking that you are in danger. Panic is caused by adrenaline being released in your body as a result of your thoughts. That is all. Nothing bad will happen to you. It usually dissipates quickly, especially once your thoughts change and you feel you are no longer in danger.

Taking this in small, easy steps is the best. First, open your door. Just stay there until you feel comfortable. Then once you can do that, stand in the doorway. Do that until you feel comfortable. Have someone with you as you do this, if that makes you feel better. Keep taking steps like this. Once you feel comfortable enough, seek out a therapist and get support for your phobia. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a short term therapy that has been shown to have great success with fears and phobias. Look for a therapist who can offer this type of therapy.

Focus on reassuring yourself that you can do this. Lots of people do and you are no different. Carry cards with you with positive thoughts on them (you can get ideas from the resources I recommended). Do whatever you need to comfort yourself and work through this. You can do it.

I hope this helped you,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it all in the mind. Do you think I should go someone out side of my comfort zone as a step to get over this anxiety and will this help with loss of motivation and energy

You can do that, if you want. However, it is up to you to decide if it would cause a set back if you had a panic attack while going outside your comfort zone. Some people feel that having a panic attack and working through it helps them get over their anxiety faster. Others would rather avoid the panic and work towards having no panic while they recover. It solely depends on which one you feel comfortable with.

If you want to confront this quickly, then having the panic attacks while you work on it is faster because you quickly realize that the panic has no way to harm you and that you do have control. But either way works just fine.

Please let me know if you have any more questions,

Kate