Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
50737979

I am concerned about my mental status. Of course everyone

I am concerned about my mental status. Of course everyone will at times think they have this, but I have a strong family history of Alzheimer's or dementia. I have been worried lately about me. I am 58 year old white female. My mother's mother had this and my mother's sister has it now in late stages. My mother is 81 and has a sharp mind for her age and no medical problems other than asthma. I have two sisters and they are in great health. I am concerned not that I misplace things, but that I can never find them. Or I forget I hid something and never find that. This is very common now. I have trouble sometimes talking - I slur sentences and cannot come up with the right words to say. This is happening more frequently. I am trying to stay on top of this because I do not want to ignore early symptoms. There have also been occasions that I cannot type because I cannot remember where the keys are. Can you shed any light on this?

Luann :

Hello

Luann :

I can understand your worry. You have seen family members suffer with the disease of Alzheimers. It is also natural to be sensitive to the indicators of this disease. You are right to want to be aware so you can intervene early. The reasons for your "forgetfullness" could be many. I recommend you see a psychologist for a neuropsychological evaluation. Look for a psychologist with neuropsychological training.

Customer :

I feel this is a very vague answer, but then I also know that no one can can actually answer this. I suppose you suggest neuropsychological psychologist as they must do testing?

Customer :

I am sorry. I do not feel my question is being addressed very well and not timely.

Luann :

Yes, a neuropsychological evaluation will include testing. Much of the testing will look at cognitive functioning and memory. It will give your specific answers about your memory concerns. The psychologist will also be able to recommend treatment once the testing is done. As I said, there can be many reasons you are experiencing the memory concerns that you are having. Giving you more specific reasons could just be misleading and worrisome. See an expert and get the answers you deserve.

Customer :

Thank you