Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

Recently I had a psychotic episode or I think that is what

Recently I had a psychotic episode or I think that is what that was. I don't know what it was I just wasn't me. I was driving when I heard a voice and it sounded weird than I realize it was me and I was talking bad about myself and what a loser i was. Than i started screaming for no appearant reason. As the day wore on I could see my actions but cant stop them and they were some weird stuff that I would not normally do like singing about everything and also yelling. I didn't care about stop signs or red lights and drove like a bat out of hell. It lasted maybe from 5 in the evening to 11pm what should I do I know they are gonna lock me up if I try to get help. Well I won't get lock up but whats wrong with me I've been so anxious of everything lately and moody too.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Luann :

What a frightening situation. First, I recommend that you abstain from any mood altering substances such as weed and alcohol. These substances may trigger more episodes. Second, you need to see a psychologist, therapist, counselor for an evaluation. There could be multiple reasons you experienced an auditory hallucination. It is unlikely they will lock you up. Keeping people in their community and providing services on an outpatient basis is preferred. Do it soon because the sooner you receive treatment the faster and better your response. If you put it off and continue to have hallucinations, you may end up getting hospitalized because of the severity of your symptoms.