Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

HI, i asked you a question a while back. Since then I have

HI, i asked you a question a while back. Since then I have been having treatment, I've been on citalopram, a fairly low dose. I have made other changes to my life and been feeling much better, today however I am way back down. I'm tired not been sleeping well. Do you think this is normal are there bad days or do I maybe need to up the doseage. I am on the lowest dose now.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.

That's a great question. Everybody's response to meds like citalopram vary. Some people experience total remission (no symptoms left), while others improve but still have residual symptoms. Remember, the goal is not to be smiling & happy 24/7...that's not realistic for the most part. Life is made of ups & downs.

What you want to do is look at patterns. If you have been on 20mg for over a month and just having an occasional bad day or rough night sleep, there may be no reason to change things. If you feel 80% better or less than before the medicine, you could certainly try 30-40mg (after double checking with your own doctor, of course) to see if you do better at that dose. Keep in mind, every time you increase a dose you could develop side effects (luckily, citalopram is quite gentle overall).

Also remember there are other things you can do with the meds to treat depression: psychotherapy, nutrition, exercise, relaxation therapy, & self-help books. Let me know if you need further details. Good luck & take care.

Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once your are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using