Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.

I was referred by my physician to a psychiatrist to see if

I was referred by my physician to a psychiatrist to see if I am truly bipolar. Have been on Lamictal for 3 1/2 months.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 5 years ago.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. However, I don't see a question within your information, which is showing up as:

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

"I was referred by my physician to a psychiatrist to see if I am truly bipolar. Have been on Lamictal for 3 1/2 months."

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

How can we help you today?

JACUSTOMER-by8evdhq- : i was wondering if you have an online screening/diagnostic tool to determine bipolar diagnosis?
Selah R, M.S. LPC :

There are two types of Bipolar, and most online screening tools are aimed at Bipolar I (depressed and manic symptoms) instead of Bipolar II (mostly depressed symptoms). Some people are also what we call Atypical Bipolar or Bipolar NOS in that they display some symptoms of Bipolar but maybe not as many symptoms that are required for the full diagnosis. Clients may also have mood swings from depressed to irritable (instead of upbeat and energetic), so they may meet the criteria for Bipolar but get missed by a screening.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

That being said, here is a screening online:

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Here is a page with more indepth information on Bipolar I using the DSM-IV criteria. This is the criteria psychologists, psychiatrists, and other mental health professionals use so that we all have the same understanding when a specific diagnosis code/label is used.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

JACUSTOMER-by8evdhq- :

Thank you. I scored a 40 on the screening you mentioned. I have already been referred to a psychiatrist, so I will get a definitive diagnosis.

Good idea. The screening is just a tool. A psychiatrist can make the correct diagnosis based on your history and symptoms, and also by looking at your family history of mental illnesses/symptoms. They key thing is that proper diagnosis will change what types of medications are used to manage your symptoms. Even though at times your symptoms may seem like "traditional depression" if you have Bipolar then traditional antidepressants alone can make you worse.

Best wishes,