Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

i have a rx for klonopin and want to know how long it can stay

i have a rx for klonopin and want to know how long it can stay in system. i have to take a drug test for a new job and was curious. i take for panic disorder.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 5 years ago.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

When you take a drug test for a new job they will ask you to list what medications you are taking, and they will compare that to the results. If you tell them you are taking Klonopin on X miligrams a day, and they find Klonopin that matches those levels, there is not a problem.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

If, however, you don't let them know beforehand what you are taking, they will flag it as suspicious. Or if you test at much higher levels than your prescription allows.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

How long it will stay in your body depends on a lot of factors. The half-life for a single pill is 20-50 hours. Meaning if I take a single Klonopin right now, it will take 20-50 hours for half of it to leave my body. And another 20-50 hours for another 50% to leave.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

If you process medications more slowly, for example from liver impairment, the medication will stay even longer.

JACUSTOMER-9zjhrnvk- : selahr
Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Depending on the lab, and your body, the average time Klonopin is expected to be detectable can be 1-2 weeks on average.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

But if you are using this under prescription, it should not be a barrier to employment or child visitation unless you are applying for a job that has strict prescription limitations (such as airline pilots, commercial truck drivers, etc).

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Does that answer your question?

JACUSTOMER-9zjhrnvk- : Selahr..................myexpanded questiion is that I am divorcing and my huband is a cop so he is trying to use the fact that I am on this and had been on xanax ion the past as fuel to say I am an unfit mother and he should have sole custody. I have always made morew money than him and now he wants alimony as well and wants me subjected to drug tests. Oi am fine with that as I know I am not abusing anything and taking as rx'd..............what would be your response?
Selah R, M.S. LPC :

He's going to have a hard time finding a judge willing to take away or hinder your custody when you are taking using standard medications under doctor's orders/supervision to manage your mental health issues unless he can show a history of abuse, neglect, or your refusal to comply with standard care (for example, someone going in and out of treatment facilities because they refuse to stay on their meds).

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

It's unfair that he's trying to use it against you, and hopefully the judge will see it as a vengeful tactic rather than something based on fact. If your prescribing doctor has already been performing routine urine screens (as many commonly do now), you can use those in your favor to show that you have a history of using only the prescribed amounts.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Your doctor may also be willing to write a statement about how they have not seen any signs of abuse or misuse in your medications (such as losing prescriptions, asking for early refills, etc.).

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Your local NAMI chapter may be able to help you locate a lawyer whom you can talk to about this and possibly represent you in court. If you live in a state that has the 211 service you can dial that from a traditional landline telephone and ask for a legal aid clinic in your area to get free legal advice as well.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Urine tests are sophisticated enough to be able to determine what you're taking and if they are at abnormal levels compared to your prescription. So you don't have to worry about the test misreading the Klonopin as something illegal.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thanks for using JustAnswer and best wishes as you deal with this stressful situation.

JACUSTOMER-9zjhrnvk- :

Thank you for providing me with feedback. I thank you for your ideas and should you come across any other information that may be helpful, please do not hesitate to pass along. It is unfortunate that he is trying to make this whole process difficult and making our children suffer in the long haul. I will let my attorney know about this site and if you are not opposed, could you be reached for questions should he have any? His name isXXXXX out of Scottsdale, AZ. Thank you again for your expertise and wishing you a Happy Year!