Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

Hi, My name is Don and ive been diagnosed with bipolar1

My name is XXXXX XXXXX i've been diagnosed with bipolar1 disorder w/(psychosis) many years ago. I have been seeing my psychiatrist every month since then. The last time i seen her i was telling her about how for a long time that i do not feel connected to this world. I can sit out on my balcony and hear the birds and wind blowing the trees, but for some reason i don't feel like i'm there. I feel like i'm watching it take place from outside my body. It also happens when i'm talking to people or in a restaurant for example. She said it's Disassociation. Unfortunately it was at the end of our session. My question is: Is disassociation disorder part of my bipolar disorder or is it a seperate disorder. I also took a DES test online and scored a 65.Also as of right now i am not seeing a psychotherapist but will be in 2 weeks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 6 years ago.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Dissociation can be a common symptoms with Bipolar, but it can also be severe enough to be a separate illness/diagnosis, especially if you have a history of trauma in your life.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Dissociation is a natural and normal coping skill. A common example is driving to work but not remembering all the details of what happened between the house and work. The feeling "out of your body" or that you're a "distant observer" is a more intense version of this. It may be your mind's response to high levels of stress or intense or unpleasant emotions (such as depression).

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Your psychiatrist and therapist will be able to help you look at how severe, how frequent, and what triggers your dissociation to help you learn better control over it, healthier coping skills, and to find out if it's part of your Bipolar or it's own illness.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

There is not medication specifically for dissociation, and many of the skills we teach clients to stop dissociation are the same skills you could benefit from in dealing with intense emotions or rapid cycling mood swings (usually called "grounding techniques" and also "mindfulness" skills).

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Best wishes, Selah