Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

MY WIFE HAS BEEN HEARING NOISES AND SEEING FLASHING LIGHTS

MY WIFE HAS BEEN HEARING NOISES AND SEEING FLASHING LIGHTS BELIVES THE DAUGHTER IN LAW HAS SHOUTED AT HER WHEN SHE WAS IN THE BATH KEEPS SAYING I AM HAVEING AN AFFAIR SAYS THE HOUSE IS BUGGED AND SHE IS BEING FOLLOWED AND SAYS THAT ME OUR SON AND DAUGHTER IN LAW ARE TRYING TO SEND HER MAD AND ALL WE ARE TRYING TO DO IS HELP HER BUT SHE SAYES SHE DOSE NOT HAVE A PROBLEM. BUT SHE IS BLAMING EVERONE OF US FOR THE PROBLEMS WHAT CAN WE DO TO GET HER HELP THAT SHE WONT GET FOR HERSELF
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 3 years ago.

Luann :

Hello

Customer :

HELLOW WHAT CAN WE DO TO HELP HER

Luann :

You are dealing with a very difficult situation. It sounds like your wife is experiencing paranoid delusions and probably hallucinations. Has she had episodes like this in the past?

Luann :

Is she sleeping?

Customer :

NOT THAT I KNOW OF

Luann :

Is she taking any medication or is she drinking?

Customer :

NO MEDICATION AND SHE IS TETOTAL

Luann :

Does she seem confused or disoriented in any way? Any memory difficulties?

Customer :

SOMETIMES, NOT NOTICED DISORIENTATION SMALL MEMORY LOSS VERY HATE FULL WHEN SHE TALKS TO ME OUR SON OR DAUGHTER IN LAW KEEPS ON SAYING SHE DOSE NOT WANT TO HURT ME

Luann :

Developing mental health symptoms for the first time at her age is unusual but not unheard of. Her symptoms could be coming from a physical rather than mental cause and this is what must be evaluated. If you can get her to go to your GP do that, you may have to trick her, tell her she is going for a different medical reason. However, life for you with her at home may be unbearable. If it is, take her to an emergency room. Again, you may have to trick her, that is telling her she is going for a different reason. Don't argue with her delusions, she will only get angry and more stuck on these delusions.

Customer :

NOT SLEEPING VERY WELL CANT STAY IN THE HOUSE ON HER OWN JUST HAS TO BE OUT OF THE HOUSE AND HAS NOW MOVED OUT

Luann :

If she is not living with you, you can call the police and ask them to do a "welfare check". Tell them her symptoms, if she appears confused, delusional, they will hopefully take her to the hospital.

Customer :

HAVE ASKED GP THE CHECK HER OUT NEXT TIME SHE SEES HIM HE SAYS HE WILL HAVE TEST DONE

Luann :

Is he seeing her soon? She needs help soon. If you are concerned about her welfare, call the police to check on her. If she will go to the ER with you, take her. In the mean time, stay in touch with her, don't argue with her, but don't agree either, try to stay neurtral. The important thing is for you to stay connected with her and keep her trust in you. Get some support for yourself by seeing a counselor/therapist. Get support from your son & daughter in law, don't let your wife's issues create health problems for you. She needs you and she needs you healthy & well.

Customer :

I DONT KNOW AT THE MOMENT WE ARE NOT TALKING BE CAUSE SHE THINKS WE ARE ALL AGAINST HER SHE SEEMS TO BE TALKING TO OTHER PEOPLE AND TAKEING THER ADVICE

Luann :

Do you know where she is? Who she is talking to?

Customer :

SHE HAS ALREADY STARTED DEVORCE PROCEDINGS BECAUSE OF ME KEEP ARGUEING ABOUT ME NOT HAVEING AN AFFAIR

Customer :

NO MAYBE, HER SISTER BUT HER SISTER IS ON HER SIDE

Customer :

YES I DO NOW WERE SHE IS

Luann :

Unfortunately, you may need to wait for her to get worse before you can intervene. Keep her doctor informed. If you need to, if you are concerned about her welfare, call the police to check on her. Even though she has started divorce proceedings, these things take time and if she is in an emotional crisis it is not likely to get very far. First and foremost take care of yourself. See a counselor. Keep yourself in good shape physically (eat, sleep, exercise) and emotionally.

Luann :

Keep the lines of communication open with you, your wife, your family. You all need to work together to help her.

Luann :

Good luck to you. Good bye.

Luann, Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.