mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

I have been suffering with mild OCD since I was a child. Gradually

I have been suffering with mild OCD since I was a child. Gradually by the age of 17 it got worse and became more intense, but I managed to cope with it. When i was pregnant on my 1st child it became unbearable and I developed pre and post natal depression. I have recently had my second child and my depression is at an all time low. I have been using medication for several years and at the beginning it seemed to work brilliantly but after many years it's effectiveness is failing. Recently I have been obsessed with the point of life!!!! I think up all sorts of crazy things like "once I'm dead, I won't remember anything, so what's the point in experiencing life when one day it'll be like you never existed". My eyes are puffy from crying and the thought that I will never see my children and husband again one day is killing me. I'm not suicidal at all, but my life has come to a stand still becuase of this new intrusive thought. I had c section births, the second c section gave me internal bleeding and it was very scary for my family when I was rushed in to have another operation to correct it. I feel so sorry for them that they had to go through this and I'm sure these new thoughts have been fuelled to the fact I could have passed away.... I just need to know what is causing this new crippling thought, is it depression or OCD? and can I get better? thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.

mindhealer :

Good morning. I would be happy to help you and am online now....just let me know when you are online and we can meet in the chatroom.

mindhealer :

Good morning...I would be very happy to help you

Customer :

I am available now

mindhealer :

Thank you....Ive read your question thoroughly....it sounds as though you had OCD as an adolescent....though with your post-partum depression it sounds as though the obsessive thoughts have worsened considerably since then....does that sound accurate?

Customer :

absolutely. It may also be helpful for you to know that I am a theatre graduate, so am incredibly creative.

mindhealer :

thank you....the creative thought process that you possess...lacking in others...is likely contributing to the OCD growing more intricate and difficult

mindhealer :

the thought that you identified at the end of your questions sounds more along the lines of depression as the thought itself is more intrusive and almost "crippling" you. It sounds thought that the thought originated from the OCD and sustained with the depression

mindhealer :

Does that sound accurate?

Customer :

so you are saying that my OCD intrusive thoughts are primarily causing this? and the depression is a result of coping with these thoughts? I was running a theatre school for 5 years and I had a focus to put my creativness to good use, bit now I'm doing nothing and I keep pondering on my waster opportunities

Customer :

8but

Customer :

*but

mindhealer :

thats usually when it occurs actually. when we are left to our thoughts without other distractions such as work

Customer :

but i've tried to distract my mind of late, but the thoughts are so powerful they take over my brain. It isn't natural for a human to analyse the end of life so much is it?

mindhealer :

Does that sound accurate?

mindhealer :

intrusive thoughts are incredibly difficult to just distract oneself from......its not that unnatural to analyze the end of life...thought not to the extent to which you are doing it. May I offer my suggestions?

Customer :

of course please do

mindhealer :

I would suggest seeing your GP for a medication evaluation and also a referral for a therapist

mindhealer :

Paxil is very helpful as it actually targets both conditions

mindhealer :

Does this sound reasonable?

Customer :

Ok thank you. I have tried peroxatine and it's relatives, but develop heart flutters from them. I used impramine while pregnant on my second child and am still using it now....... it has no side effects but sleepiness and this has effected my relationship as my husband want's me full of energy. So I will suggest to my GP that I would be willing to try paxil

mindhealer :

sounds good.....is there anything else I can help with or answer for you?

mindhealer :

actually paroxatine is paxil in its generic name but there are other medicines to help...definitely talk to your GP about it further...and definitely get a referral for a therapist

mindhealer :

Do you have any further questions that I can help with or answer for you?

mindhealer :

Do you have any further questions at this point ma'am?

Customer :

Im so sorry signal keeps coming and going. I'm tring to understand the balance on this account? as I only agreed to pay £21 if I was satisfied with the answer which I am, but am being charged 41.70?

mindhealer :

Im so sorry....I actually havent been credited as of yet to be honest...I dont have anything to do with theh finances....

mindhealer :

I would still need you to click the ACCEPT button to accept the answer