mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

im 22 years old and i struggle with talking to people when

im 22 years old and i struggle with talking to people when allow with someone or in a group of people?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 6 years ago.

mindhealer :

Hello. I'd be happy to help....just let me know when you are online and we can meet in the chatroom to discuss this further.

mindhealer :

Hello. I would be happy to help

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

hello

mindhealer :

Would you mind my asking a few questions to gain a better understanding of your problem?

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

no go right ahead.

mindhealer :

thank you. When did you first notice this difficulty with talking to others?

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

about 7 years ago but thought nothing of it but the last 3 years its got alot more noticable

mindhealer :

what is that you experience when you make an attempt to speak with others?

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

just stand there and not say anything even tho i wont to nothing comes out and if i do say something it just comes out all mumbled and queitly.

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

and then i just walk away

mindhealer :

thank you for sharing that with me.....it sounds like you've developed a social phobia.

mindhealer :

and it's likely that you've had it for sometime and that it's progressed over the last 3 years

mindhealer :

does that sound accurate?

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

yes very

mindhealer :

Ok. Would you be willing to consider going to therapy?

mindhealer :

the treatment approach to this particular phobia is two-fold...first would be systematic desensitazation coupled with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

ok what dose that involve?

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

what normally treggers this phobia?

mindhealer :

weekly therapy sessions where you'll be exposed to the stressor....in your case speaking to others...and will likely start your treatment by discussing the situation and developing ways of coping during that period....with each increment you will be exposed to a more intensive level of exposure

mindhealer :

Typically it starts off with feelings of inadequacy or shyness in relation to speaking with others...fearing that you will say something "wrong" or "embaressing"

mindhealer :

does that sound like it may be familiar?

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

it dose but there is also some other feelings like relationships with females i have been interment with and my last job and friendships also.

mindhealer :

that actually sounds more accurate in relation to the phobia as it's rather specific to situations and circumstances

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

thats what i thought but was to worried to ask my GP when i went and just walked away.

mindhealer :

That sounds familiar....it's nothing to be ashamed of....I would strongly suggest talking to your GP to get a referral to a therapist

mindhealer :

many people experience this to be honest...and it's actually very treatable

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

i no that but when i talk myself to going i always back out then just go and lock myself away from everything and drink tell i fall asleep.

mindhealer :

I would strongly urge you to seek help for this...this is very treatable and it's a matter of just taking that first step

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

i no this in my head and i just wont to get back to normal but i dont no what to say to my GP because the one i had sense i was born has retired and really felt comfortable talk to them about things bout really haven't found one i feel comfortable to talk.

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

thats why i come here for help and to try and get an understanding.

mindhealer :

I can completely understand that....it's difficult adjusting to a new person...though one thing to keep in mind is that as medical professionals we recognize that conditions come in many shapes and forms....you sound more like you're worried about being judged than anything else....has your new GP given any indication that he or she is that type of person? to ridicule or judge?

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

no i haven't seen a GP in about 3 years sense they retired. the one i tried i didn't see them i walk out.

mindhealer :

Take the chance so that you can get well....it's certainly well worth it...you will be able to get through the therapy and it would be reclaiming your life again

mindhealer :

How about just taking the first step and finding a new GP....you can do it small steps that you're comfortable with

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

i no.

mindhealer :

Do you have any further questions that I can answer for you or help with?

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

not right no but thank u for listen and ur advise i it has mad me feel like im not a werido and i will try and a new gp out but just start with a simple check what do you think?

mindhealer :

Im glad it was helpful....I think that is an excellent idea....small steps!!

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

yes very

mindhealer :

If there is nothing further...you can end the chat by clicking the ACCEPT button if you feel Ive helped answer your question completely

mindhealer :

I wish you well and the best of luck

JACUSTOMER-inbjravc- :

thank u

mindhealer :

you are most welcome

mindhealer :

Hi sorry to bother you....but the answer wasn't Accepted. Could you please click the ACCEPT button in order to allot me credit for the answer. Thank you

Good morning. I just wanted to ask if you wouldn't mind going back and clicking ACCEPT again as it didn't go through the first time and I wasn't given credit for helping answer your question. I would sincerely XXXXX XXXXX Thanks very much and I hope you're doing well.