Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

My child is 7 years old, turning 8 next month. Im concerned

Customer Question

My child is 7 years old, turning 8 next month. I'm concerned about some behavioral issues and am wondering if I should seek professional help. She is high energy child, has difficulty falling asleep at night, can focus on a task at certain times, gets very frustrated and "shuts down" if she can't do something perfectly, tends to be over aggressive and always wants to eat. She is very intelligent, does well in school. I've tried some natural ADD remedies, but they do not seem to help consistently. Would like some insight on what this may be and whom should I consult? Is biofeedback an effective tool?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question here at JustAnswer. I have read what you have written and am happy to respond.

Bill :

I understand the concern you have about your daughter and after working with children for 30 years, the first step in this scenario would be to have your child evaluation by a clinical psychologist that his trained in testing children. That way you will have a specific diagnosis and concrete recommendations for treatment. Natural remedies are not proven to have any significant, lasting effect on children with ADD and perhaps something else is going on that is being missed. That is why testing is the best way to get the baseline so that effective and lasting treatment can transpire.

Bill :

Should you need referral assistance, please advise with your Zip Code. I will be happy to help.

Bill :

Best, Bill

Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
I have responded to your question as you were Off line. Please reply as needed.
Best, Bill