Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I have had issues with depression for a long time, lately I

Customer Question

I have had issues with depression for a long time, lately I have been a lot better with the depression side of my problems but I can't figure out whats wrong with me. I was looking at an article on disorganized schizophrenia and it sounded like my symptoms...I have a LOT of trouble putting together words into competent sentences and have been finding it harder and harder to find anything to talk about in social situations...its like its all constantly bullshitting. Since my symptoms all started a few years ago I've had lots of trouble with social situations and generally avoid them, depression resulting from my social issues, trouble finishing any tasks, constantly changing moods, a lack of excitement or real emotion..even my closest friends accuse me of being fake or emotionless, trouble focusing, and thoughts that seem to jump from one random idea to the next...do you think i might be a schizophrenic? what is the best way to find out for sure? SPECT scan? ANOTHER pysch evaluation? I'm sick of feeling crappy, I want to lead a happy and successful life and its hard when you can't convey your ideas or even know what you are thinking sometimes. pleas help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to Just answer !

Customer :

Hi thanks for taking some time to talk to me

Customer :

I really appreciate it

Dr. Kaushik :

Well, the symptoms wich you have narrated could also be present in depression alone , as in severe depression , there is lack of pleasure in previously pleasurable activites , patient likes to keep to self and do not have emotional approach to deal with frienda nd family alike , also there is inability to concentrate on work and many times avoids social situation because of feeling low , and haibg low self esteem , etc

Customer :

yes i suppose that is more likely it just seems as though i've tried a ton of different depression medications and they all make me feel worse in some ways

Customer :

and i wouldn't socially isolate myself if i didn't feel so incapable of interacting with people

Customer :

i can't think of things to say and i have to fake all of my interactions with people

Customer :

my thoughts get all jumbled up and when someone is talking about one thing...many times my mind thinks of something completely unrelated

Customer :

its very hard to relate ideas and remember simple things

Dr. Kaushik :

The fact that you do not seem like haing schizophrenia is because you have intact insight , that means that you know that you are having problem and thereby seek for help from a professional , so this rules out schizophrenia , but i would strongly recommend a thorough evaluation by a psychiatrist to confirm severe depression alone with social phobia , which according to me could be your provisional diagnosis , but it needs to be confirmed by a psychiatrist , so go to one and get your self evaluated ..

Dr. Kaushik :

ALso, i do not know which all drugs you have tried but i would suggest a mix of 3 drugs , which usually give positive results in cases similar to yours , so you shall discuss these driug with your doctoe as well..

Customer :

Yeah i've always been very smart Its just been a really hard process trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with me.

Customer :

what drugs?

Dr. Kaushik :

the drugs are as follows- effexor xr or paxil cr or remeron or anafranil , any one of these to be chosen depending on which one of them you have not tried , 2) trazodone and 3) klonopin or ativan or buspar , any one of these 3 to be chosen depending on which drug have you not yet tried..

Customer :

my dad took paxil for a long time but had a very very hard time getting off of it. I've tried remeron before and trazadone but never any of the last three

Dr. Kaushik :

Kindly discuss these with your psychiatrist after you have been evaluated by him , which to me does not seem to be schizophrenia , but major depressive disorder with social phobia ( anxiety).

Customer :

okay

Customer :

thank you very much for your help

Dr. Kaushik :

I will recommend that you try the combination ..

Dr. Kaushik :

it will positively work..

Dr. Kaushik :

I hope this helps..

Dr. Kaushik :

Wish you all the best..

Customer :

is there any way to get a recommendation from you?

Customer :

besides just printing this off?

Dr. Kaushik :

no , cannot recommend .. just print this and show to your psychiatrist..

Customer :

okay thanks again

Dr. Kaushik :

and let the psychiatrist choose from the options..

Dr. Kaushik :

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Dr. Kaushik :

Regards..

Customer :

i have one more question. I have always had a hard time with medicine because i feel like i am altering myself in some way. I don't want to be

Dr. Kaushik :

Well, you need help from a drug regime , when your symptoms are treated , then the psychiatrist shall bring you off the drugs comletely , and at the moment it is very important for you to overcome your depression as at your age you ahve to achieve a lot and so have to work a lot and so you cannot afford to be struggling with this condition , while important time of yours slip away, so do not worry , nothing will be altered , just think of the positives..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry