Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

Hello,I am an identical twin in my 40s.She has lived alone

Hello,I am an identical twin in my 40's.She has lived alone for the last 15 years with weed as a way of avoiding reality.I feel..know that my twin sister is/has been suffering depression of a kind.When I approach this sadness,anger,frustration inside her,
she becomes angry,trying to ignore the fact that something could be possibly wrong!
It makes me very sad to see her face become more wrinkled in anger,let alone her stomach,ulcer and internal feelings.To see no sparkle in her eyes hurts me to look at her.
I live in Australia,she lives in Austria,tirol.We see each other every 2 years.What would be your suggestion/s to approach her best?I realize she has to make the first step...
a neutral helping hand would be ideal?Thanks for your time.From Nicole
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear about your sister's situation. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Does she have any medical condition?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no medical condition that she has told me about,I did not notice anything.
Hi, Let me say I can imagine how worried, anxious and sad you must have been about this situation. It sounds like your sister has Depression. Depression is a state of disease that affects body and mind. Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects memory, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. If untreated over time, Depression may cause Psychosis. Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzheimer’s disease, other medical problems such as kidneys, heart, lung, epilepsy, migraine headaches, brain injury. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Excessive alcohol use may aggravate depression. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression. Her doctor should know all the medication that she is taking. I also advise her to see a counselor to express and process your feelings and thoughts WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression. She may ask her doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that she can work with weekly. You may encourage her to try some or all of the following to improve and manage her mood - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may be helpful. Additionally, Biofeedback may work for depression and anxiety. Biofeedback is a self-control technique since it involves having a client to learn to modify his or her own behaviors and is based, like many other self-control procedures, on the principle of operant conditioning. The biofeedback may work for depression, anxiety and physical pain. Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks,She has become lazy living alone,malnutrition is a problem as she has become so tight with her money(she has ample)that her own diet suffers,she hugs a thermas cup of tea all day,refilling as needed.
I wonder if she has the confidence,endurance to start biofeedback?
I am going to write a heart felt letter,hopefully pull a few heart strings and prompt her to make a step.
After that I will send your comments to her.Thanks nciole
Hi, Welcome. I hope your sister take action to improve her mood. Please let me know if you have any question. Best regards XXXXX XXXXX
Hi, Feel free to continue if you want. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click the accept. Thank you. I wish you the very best!