Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I am 40 year old business woman, I work full time and also

I am 40 year old business woman, I work full time and also have my own business. I manage and train people. This Christmas I was looking forward to a rest with my family visiting from overseas. Everything and everyone just seem to annoy me even my partner, I have so much to do and can't get started even with lists. I have chest pain and shortness of breath when I try to present. I am constantly worrying about my dog who is getting very old and needs lots of care. I just don't know what it is that will make me happy anymore and have no friends as I am working all the time.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Do you have anxiety?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know, I have always been able to manage lots of work and stress but suddenly feel overwhelmed with saddness now that I am not working and feel unable to know where to start with anything. I have also developed various health issues that I need to sort out, pains in my legs from Physio treatment needed, a inner ear problem, other things that I feel i am just maoning about to myself and unable to sort out.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. I will work on my answer. Please wait for a little while.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Still not received a response
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. Let me say I can imagine how worried, anxious and sad you must have been about this situation. It sounds like you may have developed symptoms of Depression. Perhaps, you have been under enormous stress due to your business, responsibilities, and busy schedule. Your feelings of sadness and health issues may indicate signs of depression. You may need to see your primary care physician to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause your depression.
Let me explain about depression.

Depression is a state of disease that affects body and mind. Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects memory, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. If untreated over time, Depression may cause Psychosis. Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzheimer’s disease, other medical problems such as kidneys, heart, lung, epilepsy, migraine headaches, brain injury. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Excessive alcohol use may aggravate depression and cause Psychosis. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression. Your doctor should know all the medication that you are taking. I also advise you to see a counselor to express and process your feelings and thoughts WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Major Depression. You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. You also may try some or all of the following to improve and manage your mood - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, massage therapy, Nutrition (e.g., Omega-3) and Creative Art therapy may be helpful. Additionally, Biofeedback may work for anxiety and insomnia. Biofeedback is a self-control technique since it involves having a client to learn to modify his or her own behaviors and is based, like many other self-control procedures, on the principle of operant conditioning. The biofeedback may work for depression, anxiety and physical pain. Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. Warm regards,

Edited by Dr. Olsen on 1/3/2011 at 3:37 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Dr Olsen

Thank you for the answer, I think you may be right.
I do not have a regular doctor and have tried to ignore the fact that it could be depression as I am not wanting to take drugs or sugest to a doctor that I may have this condition.
I also have B12 injections for Pernious Anemia. I feel constantly tired especially if I drink alcahol, which did make me feel less sad over the xmas period.
I will go and see a doctor and also look into biofeedback.
Thank you for your accurate response, I will keep you posted if you would like me to.