Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy

,Im married to a sociopath, and it took me 10 years to realize

Customer Question

,I'm married to a sociopath, and it took me 10 years to realize it ,I found out she is cheating on me ,while on trips to visit her family...she is still out of town ,but I confonted her via email first, and she of course denied, and further over the phone , w/ same results .
I did send her 6 months of emails from her to, 2 of her lovers and viceversa. after two days she call me and after I have told her not to bother ,she still wants to have me pick her up at the airport and sit and talk w/me .....she fits the bill in regards XXXXX XXXXX I have recently learned about the meaning of what a sociopath is.such as been a liar, manipulator,violent..verbal and physical,and the rest of the traits, etc.
My question to you is since I do not want to fall into her manipulative traps , how can I get her to stay put, since if she comes home she will get her way one way or another...our financial situation is very bad now days due to the present economy .....I'm always the one that has taken most of the burden ,since she doesn't earn very much ,and her money is spent mostly on her trips to go home and her indulgences. that is my dilema ..and time is runing out she is due back in a week...
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Why do you want to stayith someone like this. Years ago ---- 38 years ago --- in a post graduate course I was taking, the instructor was talking to us about sociopaths. " The one diagnosis that no matter what help you provide them, nothing, nothing will help. Don't bother with them," she said. I have forever remembered this! How true!!!!!!

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I see you are offline. I'll check back again later to see if you have added anything.

I wish you well! Happy New Year!!!! You deserve better!!!!!!!!