mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

I currently have a nephew at my home who has for the last several

I currently have a nephew at my home who has for the last several days been showing signs of delusions of paranoia. He seems fine one minute then starts talking about things that don't make any sense - like he has a child he just found out about, he needs to get to California, his phone was bugged, there are cameras everywhere watching him. He took the radio out of his car because there were cameras either in the speakers or in the radio itself. People have their hair over their ears so he can't see the ear pieces in their ears. He's agitated because people keep asking questions but no one will answer his questions. Last week he gave away his trailer he was living in, his motorcycle, and his truck, along with the signed titles to each. He says he drinks his drink quickly not because he's thirsty but because it could be tainted with something because everyone has had access to it. He normally is the class clown and very fun loving.
I do not know what else to do, he opened up to me this afternoon and talked very intelligently about life, the world, but wants to get to the end of the golden road so that rebirth can occur. He says he doesn't need a doctor because he is one himself, one of knowledge, a doctor of life.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 3 years ago.

mindhealer :

hello. I would be happy to help you with your question and the difficulty you're presented with. I'm online now and am available to help. We can meet back in the chatroom so that we can dialogue and ensure that all your questions are answered.

mindhealer :

Good evening

mindhealer :

I'm Fadi.....will be more than happy to help. May I ask some preliminary questions to help answer you completely and thoroughly?

Customer :

yes

mindhealer :

Thank you. How old is the young man?

Customer :

23

mindhealer :

Thank you....if I may ask...when did he start presenting with these symptoms?

Customer :

the first time about 2 mos ago, lasted a few weeks then went completely away. His mother cut him off financially 2 weeks ago, and everything has gone downhill from there. The day after Christmas he gave away all his possessions and has been dilusional about different things ever since.

Customer :

it's been really bad since Tuesday of this week

mindhealer :

he gave away everything?

Customer :

His trailer, his truck, his motorcycle. he has a jacket, his grandfathers pipe and knives, and some clothes in a suitcase

Customer :

signed he titles and told the person Merry Christmas and left

mindhealer :

That's actually a large red flag

mindhealer :

I want to answer your question thoroughly.....and then explain what I mean by that if that is ok with you?

Customer :

please

mindhealer :

Thank you

mindhealer :

Is there any history of mental illness in the family? Namely schizophrenia?

Customer :

Only depression, but no shcizophrenia that I have ever been aware of, on either side, his mom or his dad. his dad is my brother

mindhealer :

ok Thank you for the information.

mindhealer :

Does your nephew engage in drug use?

Customer :

He has smoked pot regularly, admittedly. He was arrest a month ago for growning a pot plant in his trailer that no one knew about, said he had had it for a year. Told me earlier today someone had put cocaine in his drink a few weeks ago, he said he has smoked codiene, and has smoked salvia. These are things I have been told today

mindhealer :

ok thank you....none of those would induce the symptoms you mentioned....I just wanted to rule out if this was drug induced.

Customer :

His friends say he smokes pot, but have never known him to use anything else

mindhealer :

Thank you much for sharing this with me

mindhealer :

May I offer you my impression?

Customer :

please do

mindhealer :

based on what you've identified...his symptoms (both the severity and complexity of them) as well as the fact that the delusional thoughts appear persecutory and quite detailed and intricate....it sounds as though he's had an onset of Schizophrenia.

mindhealer :

May I ask...do you, or any other person you've spoken to....ever witness him speaking to himself?

mindhealer :

and replying...as though he is engaged in a conversation...or has he mentioned people speaking to him that are not there?

Customer :

yes, and he says he's talking to his girlfriend through me and through my younger brothers wife (whom he spent the night with last night) He was talking to me earlier today like I was her

Customer :

yes, his friends said they saw him do that also

mindhealer :

Thank you....My initial impression is that this is an onset of Schizophrenia...in fact Im fairly certain of it.

Customer :

when I told him I was processing what he had said, he said, "I can tell, by the look in your eyes"

mindhealer :

he is also within the age of onset for the start of symptoms

Customer :

I've had a little training and study in psychology and social work, but I'm not sure what the red flag is, is it suicide????

mindhealer :

yes it is....suicidal thinking

Customer :

he was not happy with me when I asked if the end before the rebirth he was referring to included death, he wanted to why would it, and why would he have death, that is not part of the show

mindhealer :

getting rid of all worldly belongings and identifying a "rebirth" as you mentioned are not as commonly known unless you've been extrensively trained in this

mindhealer :

Has he displayed any aggressive or threatening displays of behavior?

Customer :

aggresiveness in his language, not toward anyone though. He gets very agitated at whomever he is talking to if they keep asking questions, because afterall everyone knows everything about him, except him.

mindhealer :

understood, thank you. Do you think he would be willing to go to the hospital for an evaluation?

mindhealer :

or to see a psychiatrist?

Customer :

I don't know. I asked him when the last time was he saw his doctor, he said he didn't need one, that he is a doctor of knowledge himself because he has been trained his whole life to listen, that's how he became so intelligent. He is an extremely intelligent and talented young man, his mother recently moved away from here and she has always been around the corner and has given him and supported him in any way he asked his whole life, till 2 weeks ago.

Customer :

He said to me earlier "everyone wants me to talk, now I'm talking"

mindhealer :

a change in environment and life stressor often will bring out the symptoms

mindhealer :

for instance, his mother leaving the area....who was his primary support

Customer :

that's kind of what we thought, collectively. That life has all of a sudden him and he doesn't know how to handle it. He even said everything was coming down on him and he didn't how to handle it.

mindhealer :

you were correct in your conclusions....

mindhealer :

Are you his aunt or uncle if I may ask?

Customer :

his aunt, his dad is my brother. His parents have been divorced since he was 1. His dad lives in WA state and has lived there since 1990 or so

mindhealer :

ok thank you. Is his father and/or mother aware of all this?

Customer :

Yes, his mother, I believe, doesn't want to believe its more than him pulling everyone's leg, because he has always been such a clown, but, she is also on board that it may be very real. His dad very much believes there is a very serious problem going on her

mindhealer :

ok. Im glad they are both aware of the situation as well as the severity of it

mindhealer :

May I offer my suggestions?

Customer :

his friends also are very concerned with what they've seen because he is not the person they've always known

Customer :

yes, please do

mindhealer :

Since you are a relative...related by blood....you are capable of completing what is called an emergency petition which you can present to a judge in the ciruit court. Once the judge signs the petition your nephew will be mandated to be taken to an emergency room for a comprehensive evaluation...and likely admitted and hopefully started on medications.

mindhealer :

Based on what you've identified it sounds like he would not go willingly

Customer :

if I can get him to go willingly then I don't have to do the emergency committment, correct? I, like yourself, agree he probably isn't going to go willingly though. I do have a few connections in that field as well, I work for a justice of the peace

mindhealer :

I would definitely suggest having him go willingly of course

Customer :

though it would be a higher court judge to sign the petition, I still am aware that's a real possibility

mindhealer :

but this is what you can use as a last resort....though please don't wait too long if he refuses

Customer :

Absolutely. Thank you for your time and advice

mindhealer :

Does this help to answer your question thoroughly?

Customer :

yes, it does. Confirms my suspicions as well. Thank you. We will certainly move forward from here

mindhealer :

Most welcome.....you can end the chat by clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for answerring your question and helping

Customer :

thank you - God bless

mindhealer :

If you need anything further please don't hesitate to ask for me personally

Customer :

Will do

mindhealer :

God Bless! and happy new year

mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience