Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

Hello, I have a question regarding my father, 70 age, he is

Hello, I have a question regarding my father, 70 age, he is not sleeping well, crying and making stores that 'happened' in the past...Crying is telling me he feels pain for that events that really didn't happened. Is there a way you can advice, what could be an issue with him. His life was not easy, war, sick child, moving to different country and starting life all over again, alcohol... Currently he is under medication for cholesterol and blood to prevent trombones. Can you give any advice, please?
Maria
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about how he is feeling. There is no reason for him to feel this way if he gets treated by a person who knows what they're doing. If you take him to a psychiatrist he will be properly diagnosed and then put on the correct medicine. If he had diabetes you would take him to his internist wouldn't you? Or to his psychiatrist? Well if he has psychological; problems you need to take him to a psychiatrist, not an internist. You want him properly diagnosed and treated. Go to the expert in the field.

JACUSTOMER-4nywqo7w- :

Dr Shirley, I am not sure what to ask, could this be symptoms of depresses? Are thos nerves in question, I noticed that his condition is worse, when we lost family friend?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

It certainly could be depression about the loss of a family friend. But he can get help with this and not have to suffer.

JACUSTOMER-4nywqo7w- :

Recently he was diagnosed with reduced blood flow through the neck. Could this somehow be connected with his recent behavior?

JACUSTOMER-4nywqo7w- :

To add, he had those, whatever you call them "balloons" or whatever, inserted into veins in his legs due to reduced blood flow. This was some years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

You see, to always be on the safe side you would want to bring him to the doctor to discuss that. The psychiatrist will look at the psychological issues and the general Internist or if he has a cardiologist will look at his medical picture. Together the doctors can provide a treatment plan that will work for him.

JACUSTOMER-4nywqo7w- :

Appointments were scheduled early today, that is not in question at all, I am wondering if you can tell me anything more form your experience, what could be an issue? I am not looking that you give diagnose on line..

JACUSTOMER-4nywqo7w- :

I mean, I am not looking that you diagnose him.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I understand but without seeing him in my office I cannot diagnose him --- not to mention that it would be illegal to do so. What I can do is see what might be going on and get him the help he needs. You already said that he is not sleeping well, crying, and making about stories, etc. That tells me that he is struggling with something and needs to see a psychiatrist so that he can be properly diagnosed and treated for his depression. Why now? That I cannot say, except to say it might have to do with the loss of a family friend. Also, given the medical issues you have mentioned he may be worried about his own life.

JACUSTOMER-4nywqo7w- :

Correct and I am not looking that you diagnose him, I understand it could be depression, could it be anything else, did you see this in your experience with older man, is this something that is 'normal' in this age?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I certainly have seen this with men of that age. I don't think it's so much to worry about. If it is depression he will be given something to help him and he will feel a lot better. If he has any other issues that will be picked up by the doctor.

JACUSTOMER-4nywqo7w- :

Thank you for your help