Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

can a mental health condishtion & a renal health condishtion

can a mental health condishtion & a renal health condishtion have anything to do with each other,if so can you give me more information?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry to hear about your kidney problems. People with chronic kidney disease (and their caregivers) often suffer from depression due to the difficulty of adjusting to and coping with all the life changes that accompany both chronic kidney disease and end stage renal disease. These feelings of depression and difficulty coping are very common, and even normal through all stages of kidney disease—from diagnosis to dialysis or transplant, and even in deciding to withdraw from dialysis.

If you are experiencing depression or are having difficulty adjusting, there is hope. Treatment and relief can be found in different forms.

Having someone to talk to about your feelings, particularly a professional mental health counselllor, can be very effective in easing your depression.

There are also some antidepressant medications that your doctor can recommend that can ease the painful anguish of depression. Ask him for ones that will not affect your kidneys.

There are support groups in many areas that meet regularly to talk about issues and feelings experienced as they progress through the stages and treatments of kidney disease. As your physician or local health department, or search online for such a group near you.

I hope that I have answered your question, and wish you the very best in getting the appropriate treatment that you need and deserve.

Great blessings to you,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can renal problem caues mental illnes?
Having a damaged or infected kidney can, indirectly, but most assuredly, cause the mental illnesses called depression, General Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, and other stress related illnesses. It cannot cause schizophrenia, it cannot cause personality disorders, it cannot cause dissociative disorders, or somataform disorders, or cognitive disorders, Personality Disorders, or Impulse Control Disorders.

Kidney disease is one of the more stressful physical conditions that directly lead to those mental illnesses I have underlined and marked in bold, above.

Best wishes,

Elliott Sewell