Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.

What percentage of the US population has a DSM-IV diagnosis

What percentage of the US population has a DSM-IV diagnosis of one type or another?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 5 years ago.
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue (I teach this stuff all the time to Ph.D. students)

The numbers jump around a lot depending on the AGE of the population you are talking about, and GENDER (females have much higher rates than males). if we are talking about serious mental disorders, requiring intervention, the rate is around 5%.

Here is an official site for these statistics---serious dsm diagnoses:

However, the rate for any DSM diagnosis in the general population, in any given year is probably about 19%. This is the figure that appears in most psychiatry and clinical psychology textbooks.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if I have overlooked any aspect of your original question, or if you have a follow up (e.g., if you'd like to discuss why you are wanting/needing this information). Please hit the green Accept button at the bottom of this screen. Thanks.