Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

My wife is notoriously unorganized and very cluttered. I am a 20 yr. veteran of tactical m

My wife is notoriously unorganized and very cluttered. I am a 20 yr. veteran of tactical military and law enforcement teams and it bugs the crap out of me! She attaches meaning to everything from clothes to our sons' school projects and refuses to get rid of anything! She lives in fear of not remembering because she was diagnosed with MS 14 years ago. Her last MRI showed no new lesions and she's suffered no complications. Yet she refuses to let go and refers to her MS as a reason. How do I get her to eliminate the clutter in our home and her office without seeming insensitive? We were in marital counseling a few years ago and this came up. When the professional brought up her lack of organization, she ended the session and won't return.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Would she be willing to consider hypnotherapy? He holding onto the items can be triggered by her anxiety. If she did not respond well to the counselor who had confronted her, hypnotherapy offers another way for her to change her behavior.

Her fear of forgetting will have to be dealt with. She may be able to photograph some of the things ex son's projects, etc. and put the information onto a CD.

You won't be insensitive helping her find some solutions for the clutter. She may not see it from your stand point and you won't be forcing her to adopt your view. Find out what she is willing to do. If you present her with some options, she may adopt one of the solutions.