Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I have been depressed since the middle of October. I often

I have been depressed since the middle of October. I often am nervous and hyper. Sometimes I am up and down from my desk at work. I have trouble concentrating, collecting thought, poor memory. I do not sleep well-awake 2-5 times a nite. Almost always wake up at 5:00 am and can't go back to sleep. I have been crying alot in the last 2 weeks.

During other times in my life I have had multiple sex partners, stayed up all night, spent too much money, had really erratic and destructive relationships, drank heavily, used cocaine briefly, took a trip all across the country by myself, went up into a wilderness area and stayed by myself, danced to the setting sun, naked, singing and dancing. I've been an actress, singer, writer, love to draw, paint.

Right now I'm diagnosed as atypically depressed, but I don't overeat and I'm not overweight. I take 150 mg. lamictal, 60mg cymbalta, 37.5 mg of seroquel, and occasionally 0.5 lorazapam. I also take ambien with 25 mg. of the seoquel to sleep.

I'm wondering if I could be bipolar.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Did you have depressive episodes in the past?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, throughout my life. I first started being depressed in my 20's. I have had probably about 8 episodes in my life where I was really down.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Let me say I can imagine how worried, anxious and sad you must have been about this situation. It sounds like you has been depressed for years. You also have attention difficulty, memory issues and mood swings at times. There is a possibility that your depression has worsen over time. You may have symptoms of Bipolar disorder based on the information. People with Bipolar disorder also have depression, anxiety and ADD or ADHD. You may need to see a psychologist for psychological assessment and testing to detect and rule out Bipolar disorder.
Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects MEMORY, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Excessive alcohol use may aggravate depression and cause Psychosis. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression. Your doctor should know all the medication that you are taking. Next,
Bipolar disorder is characterized by dysregulation of mood, attention, energy, sleep, appetite and libido. In adolescent, bipolar disorder manifests in euphoric or irritable mood, depression and ADHD. Bipolar disorder is characterized by elevated mood, grandiosity, hypersexuality, decreased need for sleep, and racing thoughts.
Do you think you have most of the features?

For bipolar condition, you may need to work with psychiatrist (M.D.) and psychotherapist. Treatment for bipolar disorder consists of pharmacotherapy (by psychiatrist), individual psychotherapy (Cognitive-behavior therapy - CBT) or Interpersonal therapy (ITP) by a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist), and group therapy or support group by a psychotherapist. Pharmacotherapy is a critical aspect of treatment. Individual psychotherapy will help you for support, ventilation of feelings, coping skills training, and direct advice. Group therapy is useful for you to address the issues – adherence to medication and therapy, regulation of self-esteem, and management of other psychosocial issues. Support groups are available in a local community clinic or a local hospital. Friends and family should join a support group to better understand the illness so that they can continue to offer encouragement and support to you.

If you seek a low fee treatment,

you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get treatment described above even without health insurance.

To find a group therapy or a support group for you, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for people with mood disorder. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
Additionally, Biofeedback may work for anxiety, depression and physical pain. Biofeedback is a self-control technique since it involves having a client to learn to modify his or her own behaviors and is based, like many other self-control procedures, on the principle of operant conditioning. The biofeedback may work for anxiety, insominia and physical pain. Please contact - The association for Psychophysiology and Biofeedback ( for resources and to find a provider in your area.

For any question on mood disorder and treatment center, contact National Institute of Mental Health/ Phone Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Toll Free Number: 1-866-615-6464/ Fax Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Email Address:[email protected]/ Website URL: AND National Foundation for Depressive Illness/ Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

You may also
try some or all of the following to improve and manage your mood - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Since I am taking lamictal and seroquel already with my cymbalta, I suppose if I were bipolar, I would just be upping dosages. I have a psychiatrist that I am working with, but he seems to be really busy. Would it be helpful for me to give him a self-testing test that I have done?
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Yes. If you have taken any test, give the test results to your psychiatrist. He may need to know your condition in detail. I hope you get well.