Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Last evening I had a severe anxiety attack at 2 am...... broke

Last evening I had a severe anxiety attack at 2 am......

broke out in sweating and was barely able to maintain control.........

This was happening 2 years ago when we moved to a new house.......went on for weeks..

Moved back to my old house and the symptoms went away until last night.......we are on vacation in a familiar place.....a vacation house we have and have visited many times.

At that time I was given a prescription for an anti-anxiety pill to put under my tongue if one occured.........I have not used it for more than 1 year......I do not have the pills with me.

I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and take armour thyroid a gram daily

I also take a weekly shot of Testosterone

This has been for the past one month

What would you suggest
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I can imagine how worried and anxious you must have been about your condition. It sounds like you have had anxiety attacks. There is a possibility that thyroid problems may have caused or contributed to your symptoms of anxiety since hypothyroidism may cause symptoms of anxiety, confusion and depression.
In any case, if your anxiety attacks persist for more than two weeks,

you may benefit from having a Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT). CBT is a most effective therapy for anxiety and depression. CBT for anxiety consists of Self-Monitoring, Relaxation strategies, Exposure treatments, Cognitive therapy. There are several ways to find a psychologist or psychotherapist who takes your insurance. 1. You can look for a licensed psychologist (Ph.D., Psy.D./State licensed) or psychotherapist (MFT, MFCC, LCSW) in a local community clinic or a local hospital. Or call your insurance company and get a list of providers in your area. 2. You can search a licensed psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety and/or depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and anxiety/depression. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question. You can also negotiate psychotherapy fee and number of sessions. If your anxiety attacks persist, you may try Panic Control Treatment (PCT)and Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) for your condition. Behavior interventions are In vivo exposure with response prevention (flooding). Cognitive interventions are Cognitive therapy, relaxation, breathing retraining. In Panic Control Treatment (PCT), you may be exposed to the interoceptive (bodily) sensations associated with panic attacks (e.g., the client exercises in a therapy session to increase his/her heart rate). PCT is effective 80%-100% of cases and associated with low relapse rate. So you may benefit from seeing a psychotherapist who specializes in PCT, CBT and Anxiety/Panic attacks. The book Worry Trap by Dr. Lejune may be helpful to manage your anxiety. You may also check the link from ANXIETY DISORDERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA( and go to the link - ( to find a specialist in your area. Also, Biofeedback may work for anxiety and insomnia. Biofeedback is a self-control technique since it involves having a client to learn to modify his or her own behaviors and is based, like many other self-control procedures, on the principle of operant conditioning. The biofeedback may work for anxiety, insominia and physical pain. Please contact - The association for Psychophysiology and Biofeedback ( for resources and to find a provider in your area. Additionally, you may try some or all of the following to reduce anxiety - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,