Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

My mom is in a seniros residence and I go to see her for about

My mom is in a seniros residence and I go to see her for about 1/2 hour everyday. She cries all the time and she says she does not know why. Also she has the staff call me to get there immediately, what can I do about this she is on an antidepressant and an antipsycotic?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Is she working with a counselor/psychotherapist ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No she will not go to see one she thinks hse is fine

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is it just that she is controlling and thinks everytime she cries and calls me that I will come?

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Let me say I can imagine how worried, anxious and sad you must have been about this situation. It sounds like your mother have signs of Depression. Also, she may be emotionally dependent on you.

She may benefit from psychological counseling once to three times a week. Depression is a state of disease that affects body and mind. Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects memory, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. If untreated over time, Depression may cause Psychosis. Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzheimer’s disease, other medical problems such as kidneys, heart, lung, epilepsy, migraine headaches, brain injury. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Excessive alcohol use may aggravate depression. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression. Her doctor should know all the medication that she is taking. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression. You may ask her doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that she can work with AT THE SENIOR RESIDENCE. Or you may call her insurance company and a local hospital and get a list of providers who may travel to her place for weekly counseling service. If her depression worsens for next one month, she may see a psychiatrist (M.D.) who specializes in Geriatric Psychiatry and Depression for you to get medication evaluation. To find a Geriatric psychiatrist in your area, please contact AMERICAN ASSOCIATION FOR GERIATRIC PSYCHIATRY (WWW.aagpgpa.org)-XXXXXSuite 1050 Bethesda, MD(NNN) [email protected] . I hope your mother gets well.

Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. Warm regards,