Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
50493013

My 18 year old son has been on Luvox for his OCD for a couple

My 18 year old son has been on Luvox for his OCD for a couple of years but has run out and his services with MHMR have been terminated. He has extremely distressing obsessive thoughts and needs something asap. I have 20 mg and 30 mg Cymbalta on hand ~ would it be useful for the OCD?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.

These 2 medications are both anti-depressants but slightly different classes. Luvox is an SSRI while Cymbalta is an SNRI. Although cymbalta can be useful for OCD, every patient's response will vary. Some people will respond to both, some just one, and some neither. Any antidepressant can make people feel worse as a side effect too (more anxious, depressed, or suicidal) so people need careful monitoring.

I would recommend trying to brainstorm finding a way to get him his Luvox instead of starting something new...esp if you know the luvox works well. You might be able to get an emergency prescription from a local minor care, ER, or psychiatric ER service. Many family doctors would feel comfortable prescribing it too.

Btw, luvox should only cost about $20 a month for someone without insurance (that's costco's cash price...and you don't need a membership there to use the pharmacy...other pharmacies should have similar prices). Good luck & take care.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He is getting increasingly agitated and uncooperative. He will not go to a clinic or hospital because he is afraid of being put back in an in-patient facility.

I have cymbalta, trazadone, abilify, seroquel, lithium ... what would calm him down the quickest?

Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.

Try reassuring him that unless he tells the professionals he's homicidal or suicidal or if he has a severe outburst in the clinic. that would be the only reason he would be committed.

If you opt to give him other meds you're doing it at your own risk. I cannot recommend you do that without evaluating your son in person. All I can tell you is that on average, out of the meds you mentioned seroquel would probably work to calm him down the quickest...trazodone & lithium would be next...then abilify. any of them have the potential to make him worse too...cymbalta wouldn't usually be beneficial until someon has been taking it for 2-4 weeks.

Anything else?