Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

Hey - We spoke before about Anafranil for OCD etc. I have been

Hey - We spoke before about Anafranil for OCD etc. I have been on it for 3 weeks now and my anxiety is lessening. Still have intrusive/obsessive thoughts sometimes that make me ashamed and anxious but it's getting better.

1 side effect that is pronounced is dizziness. It's tolerable but is a nuisance. Does this subside with time? Like after 3 months on the med, will it be less?

Second is it takes much longer to orgasm and, when I do, it doesn't feel as good. I'm willing to sacrifice some sexual pleasure for sanity (haha!) but also wondering if this lessens with time?

I am on 50mg (upped from 25 two weeks ago) and doctor wants me to up to 75mg when the side effects begin to lessen. We are taking it slow but he wants me to get to 100mg for maximum relief.

Let me know your thoughts,

The side effects certainly can get better if you give the medication more time. Everybody's body is a little different...some people adjust within a few days....others take a few weeks...there can also be changes over the months on a certain dose.

I would recommend continuing to give this medicine time....but to go up with the dose slowly...and to only go up if you feel like you need more for the anxiety.

Also, occasionally a low dose of wellbutrin can decrease sexual side effects of other antidepressants. I have even heard of 1 patient in whom buspar had a similar effect.

If for some reason the side effects don't go away, your doctor and you will need to decide whether you should just cope with the effects or try something different. I hope this helps. Good luck & take care.

Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once your are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This helps a lot. The sexual issues are not as bad as everything still "works" but it takes longer to achieve orgasm etc. which is a valid trade off.

The dizziness is an issue that I hope will lesson over time. I really hope so as this medicine is giving me much needed relief.

Thanks for your time!